Banjo Rearend

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charley Davidson

I really like the looks of the banjo rear ends and want to use mine. Any info on where to get taller gearing for them and cost? Any reason not to use it other than gearing? I really think it would be a cool and unique look.

Strength is a big issue. Not so much with the gears but the keys break often and so do axles. If the axles break you lose a wheel, unless you put one of the aftermarket safety hub kits on it. Ford had several ratios, from I think 3.54 to 4.11.

Don

Thanks Don, can you give a little more detail on what I would need to do to make it safe? I'm not building a Hotrod as much as I'm building a rat rod with a small probably underpowered engine but I do want reliability and safety along with hiway speeds and fuel economy. Gonna be cruising with the little red headed grandson:D[cl

Safety hubs are cheap and good insurance, but they still don't stop you from being immobilized if you shear a key or break an axle.

You will need to use the rear end with a torque tube or get a open drive conversion kit for the pinion. They can be a little spendy...

Safety hubs are cheap and good insurance, but they still don't stop you from being immobilized if you shear a key or break an axle.

You will need to use the rear end with a torque tube or get a open drive conversion kit for the pinion. They can be a little spendy...

Not really sure what you mean by torque tube & open drive but my rearend does not have the "Tube" with the drive shaft inside it like all the others I've seen, of course I don't have the drive shaft.

I am working on a cheap alternative to the spendy open drive kits. I don't have a lathe so I am paying a buddy to do it, figure all said and done I will be into it for about $100, compaired to the $300+ for the kits from speedway/etc.

Once I have it complete I do plan to post a thread about it, it's just going to be a while since I am a bunch of stuff on my plate right now.

I had posted a bunch of crap about the open drive conversion, then reread yoru post... sounds as though you have an open drive rear end already. So you are good to go. The strength issues and the walking tire issues are the ones you would need to worry about. But I figure if you arent beating on it, it shouldn't break right? maybe I'm wrong...

I just got the Dec 2011 issue of Rod & Custom. There is a write up on converting the late model 9 inch Ford axles to the Banjo rearend. Also mentions the saftey hubs used with the stock set up. You might not be interested in any of it, but won't hurt to know about it.

Strumming a banjo

Try Vern Tardels book on early Ford hot rods. If you post your question on the Hamb site you will get all the answers you need.......just don't use the ratrod word!

Latest posts

Back