351W trans options

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountain

I had my military weekend and when talking to one of the guys he said he told me he is selling a running 351W for $100.00. How could I say no? The problem is it does not have a transmission with it. Any suggestions? It will more than likely be a street truck, no strip. I see a lot of people have used the C4 trans. Just seeing what people are running out there. Thanks!

You can run any tranny you want the c4 is smaller C6 is bigger an strongest an early AODs are non electronic all will work well C4 an AODs fit in smaller tranny tunnels if you want an auto there are plenty of good standard trannys to

I will have to go on the hunt for a c6 or an AOD trans. I will have to see what is around localy. Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm going to have to make the same decision as you. I am building a 351 roller cam motor for my Fox Mustang and want an automatic. I am either going to go with a C 4 or and AOD (non electric), and am leaning toward the AOD because I am running 3.73 gears and would like an overdrive for better gas milage and cruising rpms.

The only thing that is holding me back is that I had an AOD in the Jeep truck I swapped a 5.0 Mustang motor into, and to get it to upshift into overdrive I had to lift off the gas for a second, it would not upshift under full throttle conditions. That was a slight disadvantage when I was playing with some other car at a red light.:eek:

Don

I have been looking around to see how much an AOD is going for these days. A rebuilt one is pretty salty. I will have to scour some old yards to see if I can find a deal on one. Thanks for the input and I will keep this updated if I find anything else out. Thanks!

Don,
Not a trans tech, but the AOD will not upshift to OD at WOT. If that is what you meant by not upshifting. If you meant, in any gear, it may have needed the TV cable adjusted. I know you are usually up on the Ford stuff, so if this is old news to you, just disregard.

That is exactly the problem I had, RR, it would shift 1-2-3 ok but it wouldn't go into 4th (overdrive) unless I lifted momentarily.

Don

Don you had a pre 1990 aod the later ones will up shift at wot. There are things to fix the early units and move the 3-4 shifts in all aod's. Trans tech for 35 years. Tobby

You are probably right , Tobby. I have seen built AOD's too that have been modified to work in a high performance application.

I think I am just going to go with a C4, even though my 3.73's will be a little deep, I mainly just drive around town anyway. Thanks for the input, soundsl like you know transmissions well. :)

Don

Don you had a pre 1990 aod the later ones will up shift at wot. There are things to fix the early units and move the 3-4 shifts in all aod's. Trans tech for 35 years. Tobby
I have a 351w with an AODE from a 1993 Van. I'm going to use the 351w in rod project. So, I've put an intake and carb on the 351w and would like to use an AOD instead of the AODE. What should I look for in an AOD for the correct bellhousing? Or is there a cheap way to make the AODE work? I have seen stand alone AODE computers but, they cost alot.

351W, 302, and 289 share a common bell housing bolt pattern. AOD and pan fill C4's take 164 tooth flex plate. Only difference is the balance weights. All 351W's are 28 oz, 302 is 28 oz up until about 1985, then it went to 50 oz, all 289's are 28 oz.

Case fill C4's take the 157 tooth flexplate, which are all 28 oz from the factory. Never was a 157 tooth 50 oz from the factory, but they are made afternarket.

This is based on what I know, there may be exceptions to this, but I've never ran into them. Ford had a bad habit of changing things in the middle of a model year, so anything is possible with them.

351W, 302, and 289 share a common bell housing bolt pattern. AOD and pan fill C4's take 164 tooth flex plate. Only difference is the balance weights. All 351W's are 28 oz, 302 is 28 oz up until about 1985, then it went to 50 oz, all 289's are 28 oz.

Case fill C4's take the 157 tooth flexplate, which are all 28 oz from the factory. Never was a 157 tooth 50 oz from the factory, but they are made afternarket.

This is based on what I know, there may be exceptions to this, but I've never ran into them. Ford had a bad habit of changing things in the middle of a model year, so anything is possible with them.
Thanks Bamamav, that's what I like about this site......a virtual wealth of information.

351w with c6

I have a 1994 351w and a c6 trans from differant cars and am puting them tgether what flex plate should I be using 164t 157t 28oz 50oz I'm confused

Latest posts

Back