ammo/batt. box

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirty58

i know its been done many times the ol ammo box as a batt. box, well thats the plan,ive never done it before, anyone have any suggestions on how i can mod it to accept my batt,im thinkin i need to line the top with sum sort of rubber matt? i also plan on using rubber bushings to mount the box...thanks

Attachments

• flickas 004.jpg
    flickas 004.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 83
What's the dimensions of the inside of the box? Is there room to fab a hold down on the inside of the box that would go across the top of the battery? Maybe some stops on the sides to keep it from moving?
I've never used one, but I would think an Optima battery would give the least problems...(dry cell).

Tracy

You wouldn’t need to line the box with anything.
I’ve got (2) 6V Optimas wired in series laying on their sides, under the seat, directly on the metal floor of my cab.

Jeff

Tie down

Dirty58,
Even if it fits snug I would stiil make sure it is tied down in that enclosure. U wouldn't want to hit a bump & have the battery bounce around in there. The only problem I've noticed with Optima's is... if u let them run down, u have to use a battery charger to charge them back up. They don't seem to charge back up very well just driving the car around instead. I use them exclusively.

BoB

It's because of the way the cells are constructed and the material they are made from. When I bought my Odyssey battery, the guy at the factory told me the same thing about charging it.

Don

Here's what I did. I will make sure that there is insulating around the pos. post. I was thinking maybe the liquid tape stuff or perhaps a piece of rubber.

Attachments

• batterybox.jpg
    batterybox.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 145

Latest posts

Back