1937 Chevy Coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW! That exhaust looks like a total pain! That is a lot of tedious work get all those shapes to line up and go where you want them to, then welding it all together. That is some really great work!

You want to do mine next?? :D

The end is near. :eek: :D

We added a cross member for some extra beef (and a place to mount shocks) then continued with the exhaust...

attachment.php

Believe it or don't, we found more clearance issues. We have two depressed "wells" in the floor and trunk pans to avoid, so we have more in/out, up/down pipes in the simplest most complicated way we could devise...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Done! Well mostly. I tacked one tailpipe crooked, we need a couple more hangers and the tips are not fit nor determined.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0434 - size.jpg
    IMG_0434 - size.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0436 - size.jpg
    IMG_0436 - size.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_1350 - size.jpg
    IMG_1350 - size.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_1351 - size.jpg
    IMG_1351 - size.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 149
DR, I think you have overlooked one thing......how will you get the drivers side header off when you have to pull the engine or a head off? I see you left the flange on the pass side, so you're OK there, just that drivers side you don't have any breakable connection until you get to the muffler, or did I miss something?[S

DR, I think you have overlooked one thing......how will you get the drivers side header off when you have to pull the engine or a head off? I see you left the flange on the pass side, so you're OK there, just that drivers side you don't have any breakable connection until you get to the muffler, or did I miss something?[S

Yes and No. The driver's side header/collector runs into a band clamp. (I'm surprised by the quality and fit of these clamps, but that's another story.) We have slipped the header in and out (a few times) and it goes well... if you hold your tongue right.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1323 - clamp.JPG
    IMG_1323 - clamp.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 142
A little progress.

We pulled the body out of the corner and set it back on the chassis...

attachment.php

... the body fits and clears, except for a couple issues. The shock cross member is tight to the floor pan (more than tight, it's holding the body up a thick hair) and the exhaust is too close to the trunk well...

attachment.php

... we'll change the cross member and notch the trunk well for each pipe. We expected major interference at the trunk and we're happy to make a couple small notches, not the sewer pipe holes we'd anticipated.

Moving along, we turned our attention to steering. We fashioned a makeshift seat and B-tard made himself comfortable with a steering column loosely placed... not bad, but the column is too long and quite ugly. We're looking for a more suitable column and when we find it, we expect it will have to be cut to fit... not an issue, but winter is officially here and junkyard/field crawls are not likely.

attachment.php

On the positive... we believe we've been successful with the low motor/trans placement. (The goal was to have as much foot space as possible.) So far, so good. As it sits, there will be no "tunnel" to speak of. The floor will be virtually flat and we'll take all the space we can get.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice job, Doc. Wished I had known about the 3.5* angle on the M2 IFS when I installed mine. I hope I got lucky cause I had a 78 M2 parts car in the yard and got the IFS orientation from when installing my IFS.

Doc, I've taken quite an interest in your car, but, because I'm a Ford lover, the computer has chosen to send me little wee dark blue square boxes with Xs in them instead of your nice pictures. This just started happening, [post 132]. [S

Doc, I've taken quite an interest in your car, but, because I'm a Ford lover, the computer has chosen to send me little wee dark blue square boxes with Xs in them instead of your nice pictures. This just started happening, [post 132]. [S

I'm not a Ford lover and it's doing it to me as well:D:D

Sorry, guys. I had this happen in an earlier post... my attachments disappeared like a fart in the wind!

I'll repeat the post...

A little progress.

We pulled the body out of the corner and set it back on the chassis...

attachment.php

... the body fits and clears, except for a couple issues. The shock cross member is tight to the floor pan (more than tight, it's holding the body up a thick hair) and the exhaust is too close to the trunk well...

attachment.php

... we'll change the cross member and notch the trunk well for each pipe. We expected major interference at the trunk and we're happy to make a couple small notches, not the sewer pipe holes we'd anticipated.

Moving along, we turned our attention to steering. We fashioned a makeshift seat and B-tard made himself comfortable with a steering column loosely placed... not bad, but the column is too long and quite ugly. We're looking for a more suitable column and when we find it, we expect it will have to be cut to fit... not an issue, but winter is officially here and junkyard/field crawls are not likely.

attachment.php

On the positive... we believe we've been successful with the low motor/trans placement. (The goal was to have as much foot space as possible.) So far, so good. As it sits, there will be no "tunnel" to speak of. The floor will be virtually flat and we'll take all the space we can get.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1384.JPG
    IMG_1384.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1400 - Clearance.JPG
    IMG_1400 - Clearance.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1402.JPG
    IMG_1402.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 101