I need some assistance...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlatBroke

Hostage Negotiator
The other day, some local kids decided they wanted to put a stripe on the front bumper of Reason4's Oddyssey. The van is almost a gold color, and the almost "Grafitti Like" detail work is blue. Reason4 is about over her anger now and we are trying to figure out how to get the blue off. The blue is not very solid (Thank goodness), I think I will be able to get the job done with an orbital buffer and some rubbing compound. Tell me what you think.

The main reason I'm asking is because I don't want to ruin the factory paint on the van.

All tips welcome.......more to the point, "ENCOURAGED"

Thanks

what is the stripe made out of? paint, marker, or what?

There is a cleaner called Goof-off that will probably work well, acetone is one of my favs for this kind of thing but it can be pretty harsh.

Flat, I would try the goof off first as Bonehead has suggested. If that does not work and if the "graffiti" is not to thick, you should be able to buff it off with some rubbing compound and a buffer. If you feel comfortable doing it, you could wet sand it off first with some very fine grit paper. Nothing coarser than 1200 grit. But be careful, factory clearcoat is usually pretty thin. I have done it though with good results. If you use a solvent or Goof Off to remove the "offensive detailing" it may leave a dull area where the solvent was applied. You should be able to regain a shine with a buffer. I'm not talking about an orbital buffer/waxer, but a buffing wheel.

As a tip, if you use a solvent or any chemical agent in your attempt to remove the graffiti, first conduct a test on an inconspicuous part of the body in case the solvent has an ill effect on the paint.

Another tip. If using a buffer, if there are any sharp body lines or areas where you might tend to "burn" the paint with a wheel, use some masking tape to cover the edge, peak, or body line.

id say paint the rest of the van to match the stripe then you could mask off the good paint on the hood and the fenders for flames or scallops:D

yup thats wut id doo........................:D:D:rolleyes:

Bonehead,
Blue spraypaint. it is real light.
Tripper,
Yup, plastic front bumper.
Gassresgarage,
I thought of that too, but don't trust myself to do it.
Gastrick,
I would have to try the orbital buffer. I would burn the paint "4 Shure"
Motomech,
She has been dying to paint the van since she got it. "Cobalt Blue" is the color she wants to paint it. Don't see that happnnin either.

Thanks everybody.

spraypaint remover

Go to auto paint store and get acryic emamel reducer , wipe only the spray paint (keep it off factory paint ) then use a cleaner type wax by hand to clean any color left and to get shine back ,please test reducer on hidden spot first and use only a damp reducer rag (use as little as possible) ,by the way I am a retired auto painter .PS drive to east Texas and I will do it

The van is not gold, it is as silver as silver can get.

The spray paint that is on it is not a close up spray, more like the can was almost empty when this punk got it. The company I work for makes a chemical called Grafitti Remover, it worked real well getting permanent marker off of my daughter's painted white furniture without removing the paint and has left an oily hase to it so she can't write on it anymore, they use this stuff on the walls and stuff in Atlanta in the subway systems to remove all the grafitti, so I may try this, I have some of it at home that I took as a 'sample'. I will take before and after pics if I can, hoping it won't hurt my paint!! Stupid thugs! :mad:

Well, I have always stood behind the products that I sell, if you believe in something you can sell it.....I will not sell something to a customer if I haven't tried it myself first. Boy, I was nervous trying to use this stuff and holding my breath hoping no silver would come off with the blue..........IT WORKED!!!! :D
Whew, little thug gets to live but I will stalk him and he will know it is me, when he sees me or my van you better believe he will turn and go in the other direction!!!! :mad:
Bumper looks great, can't even tell it was there! After a very good wash to make sure all of the chemical was off completely, I could actually relax.

Grafitti remover

Glad to hear you got it off ,I almost sugessted a product made by Delta formost, but thought it might be hard to find

Latest posts

Back