hood Pancake! hold the syrup please.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chopper tom

Way too young to be a hippy!
O come on guys ,surely one of you has some info on cutting a hood???????
I know it;s gonna worp so all the extra input yall can give will help!
My biggest concern is the firewall clearance when the front of the hood comes down the 2''?Do you guys think i will have to reshape the front edge of the fire wall??????

i'm confused, what exactly do you want to do? do you want to section your hood diagonally 2" at the front to the rear? if so, that may work, i don;t see any firewall issues the way i'm picturing it, just don't know how you would make it look good.

I chopped the top6'' and shortined the bed down 12 1/2''.And it looks great to me[i doon this about 6yrs ago and never ran the hood till now]
I finally got around to putting the hood on [ive planed on this cut from the day i chopped it]and i think its too fat for the rest of the truck,if i could take out some from the front and give the hood a slight slant .I hope to give the truck a more sleeker look.the hood looks too fat.
I've seen this done on sectioned cars [pancaking the hood]but they cut an even cut strait down the hood sides.usually on mercurys or shoeboxes.

I know what you are talking about, but have never done it. It seems to me if you want it to slope you might consider a sideways V cut with the open part towards the front, and let the back act as a hindge. But this is a wild guess, so maybe you should look for a 2nd hood.

This truck used to be my papaws truck ,he was the second owner and it was a schoolboard truck befor that ,[he was my biggest influance on life and my faverate person ever ] so i'm real picy over what i do to it .but i do have an extra hood to try this on .
I have been drivin the truck for about 6 yrs with out the hood [loved the look and it was easy to service,but kept messin up my distributers]so i got off my lazzy butt and finally set out to fix the hood . I figured that i would cut down the side and curve the end of the cut befor it gets to the fire wall so the top can henge down and try to keep the pucker out that i think will follow after i begin to weld it up ,then slice relief cuts so the top and bottom will jive to gether .thats all ive got thought out so far [ i have seen other chopped 50s done this way and it looks great ,but no tec articlels to be fond any where .....so as usual i;ll probably just start cuttin and figure it out as i go???????
And thank you guys for not grippin about my spelling ,my wife gripes enough belive you me.

Latest posts

Back