Bonehead is back to work

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the seam in the front of the roof....
weld.jpg

Good Lord BH. I got all new respect for your work, your ingenuity, your abilities, your imagination and et al. Love it. I sure wish I could come out there and apprentice under you for a month or so! Ahhhhhh, would that be nice! To see that beautiful country while learning to be a skilled metal worker. perley

very cool build bonehead. ive been watching it since day one.

i thought about the door tops and have this vison of someone installing glass into them and not rolling it down before they open the door. i wonder if you had a locating pin in one corner and a recessed 1/2" bolt in the center of the very top posts, threaded into the bottom to tie it together. that should hold it tight and keep it from shaking.

On mine I was thinking about doing a tapered dove tail at the back of the window frame and a stud (something like what you did above the windshield only go about 3" into the lower part of the frame ) with a set screw in the upper part of the frame at the windshield. You would open the door slide the frame in and tighen the set screw.

I have been keeping my eyes open for a rear axle for this truck and I found two today. One is a big bearing with a 5 on 5 1/2 pattern, the other is out of a car and has the smaller bolt pattern. I am planning on using the car 9 inch. Pictures coming soon.

Ok BH, It loks like you use a wire feed machine, what's you weapon of chocie when stiching the top back on? do you use mig hard wire or flux core?

I have said for years that a brand name, 220 wire feed with mix gas is the best welder for the hot rodder. I have a bunch of them. My big machine is set up with .035 wire, and is what I use building trailers and projects with heavier steel. My smaller machines are set up mostly with .025 wire, and all have mix gas. I even have a 110 unit that has a great sweet spot for thin metals.

Worked on the upper door parts today. And finishing up some welds here and there, starting on the floor tomarrow probably.
Today a pipeline welder friend of mine showed up with a welder friend of his to look over the build. The guy who had never been here before, was blown away with what I was doing with this truck. I showed him the Bonehead Truck too, and he flat out told me that until today, he thought Rat Rods were thrown together pieces of junk that were unsafe, and he would never own one. Today he said he may as well go sign the divorce papers, cause his wife was going to throw a fit, now that he has decided to build a rat rod.
He "gets" it now. We popped the top off the truck, and he was sold.

Been missing the build

Been looking forward to a look at the upper part of the doors. Still can't wrap my mind around how the upper part of the door is going to work.[P[P

Latest posts

Back