53 AD Chopped, sectioned and narrowed

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is really cool, is the truck staying patina? You must have had the cab sitting outside in the weather all the cuts and welds are looking just like the tin beside them. [cl[cl[P[P

Yea, the patina stays and it has been sitting outside for about two months.

Nice work, OI. The size of the rear window shows how much the cab is altered.

Without something to go by it looks like an AD truck.
I really like the original rear window size. The owner doesn't and wants me to make it the same size as my 37's rear window :(

Keep the truck inside and put the owner outside for two months. ;)

LOL, I never thought of that [cl If I had done that to start with maybe I could have alleviated this error in judgement.
I like the tank and the front side to side engine mount.
[P

The tank is out of a Model T and I shortened it 4" to fit between the rails.
Here's another pic of the front cross member with the way it will be to give it more strength.
Ya don't notice the little variances like the factory having the drivers side mount 1/2" higher than the passenger side. Made me double check to make sure the engine was level side to side :p
Don't know if I mentioned it or not, the mounts are off a VW, all I had to do was widen the four Hemi mounting holes about 1/4"

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 0106191022.jpg
    0106191022.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 148
  • 0106191022c.jpg
    0106191022c.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 152
A little more done. Gonna do the upper bars today but, it is sitting on all 4 now.
I also narrowed the Ford 8.8 by 3" now the pinion is centered.
The passenger side axle is 2 7/8" shorter than the drivers side axle so, I used two passenger axles. Sorry I didn't get pics.
The owner wanted the axle to look like it was floating so, I installed the coilovers in front of the axle tubes.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 84.jpg
    84.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 85.jpg
    85.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 174
  • 86.jpg
    86.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 102
A little more done. Gonna do the upper bars today but, it is sitting on all 4 now.
I also narrowed the Ford 8.8 by 3" now the pinion is centered.
The passenger side axle is 2 7/8" shorter than the drivers side axle so, I used two passenger axles. Sorry I didn't get pics.
The owner wanted the axle to look like it was floating so, I installed the coilovers in front of the axle tubes.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Very interesting. Do you think having the shocks in front of the axle will pinion angle under power and ride since they might have less leverage?

It should have very little effect on ride quality.
The same should be true about the pinion angle since its a 4 bar suspension.
I'm hoping it will have a little softer ride with them being in front.

Got her rear suspension buttoned up today.
Tomorrow I'll put a back strap on the lower control arm brackets for lateral stability.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 87.jpg
    87.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 94
  • 88.jpg
    88.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 89.jpg
    89.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 160
  • 90.jpg
    90.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 95
I love it [cl The rear glass does need to stay like that to put the whole thing in perspective :cool:
Are there more body panels to be expected or will it stay like this?

Latest posts

Back