holesaw guide

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Wallbanger

here is a neat little trick that alot of you might already know. I break hole saw drill bits constantly! Drill press, hand drill, doesnt matter. So I came up with this oneday. I predrill my 1/4" hole and put a 1/4" piece of round stock where the drill bit goes. havent had one break since! The round bar just guides it like the bit would and you can make it longer to line up holes like two plates or frame holes!

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 126
The other advantage of using a round rod instead of a drill bit is that it doesn't wallow out the center hole and runs truer. If you ever noticed, a drill bit will let the hole you are cutting "walk" a little because the center hole ends up bigger than 1/4 due to the forces caused by the large holesaw.

Some people say they use blank drill rod for this purpose, but I don't know where you buy that, so I just use long grade 8 1/4 inch bolts that I cut the head and threaded part off of, and then I grind a round point on one end to guide it into the hole I have predrilled in the item.

Don

I've got to try this. My Starret holesaws always wonder about as if they are loose. They are decent quality, but still cut an oversize hole every time.

great tip[cl

Another tip for using hole saws: If you need round plugs without the hole in the center you can drill your hole first in a scrap of 1/2 to 3/4 inch plywood then clamp it to the metal you want to drill your plug out of, this will keep the hole saw from walking, you can also use this method to drill around screws/bolts that are holding wood flooring if your replacing it and can't get a grip on the bolts.

here is a neat little trick that alot of you might already know. I break hole saw drill bits constantly! Drill press, hand drill, doesnt matter. So I came up with this oneday. I predrill my 1/4" hole and put a 1/4" piece of round stock where the drill bit goes. havent had one break since! The round bar just guides it like the bit would and you can make it longer to line up holes like two plates or frame holes!

I use this to drill holes in round tube race car frames for bolt spuds. works better than burning up step drill bits! This way I can use a 3/4" holesaw for welding in pieces of 3/4" .120 wall tubing. Plus it makes cool little curved washers (I guess for curved 1/4" bolts?):D

Ive seen that trick with making in takes and headers Davidson but not the plywood great ideah! You can tack a piece of pipe or tube that barely fits over your saw to the metal to drill and it'll work but the ply wood sounds easier.

I already did the round stock (usually a piece of drill rod), but the plywood idea is new.
I’m going to have to try that one.

Latest posts

Back