Hei questions timing

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since it IS a cheapo one from JEGS ($70 shipped)
I have the original parts in one of the storage compartments and left the ballast mounted to the firewall.
I could swap it out quick in an emergency.

First I must say I'm not a big fan of cheapo HEI and don't generally like seeing those huge ugly warts on a non GM. That being said, I know the one wire is very attractive to people intimidated by those pesky electrons.
I do everything with a dialback light/tach so I know just what the mechanical, vacuum, and all in numbers are. Short of that, the "by ear" method is probably best, bump until you hear a little ping, back off a couple degrees until ping goes away and you have all the timing your gas will allow. Base timing really don't mean much if you don't know what the advance is doing

I dont care at all what the engine looks like.
I just want it running good and cheaply.
the vacuum timing and carb adjustment seems to have done the trick .
Time will tell.
But even if the electronics died and i had to replace all the guts with name brand components
It would still be cheaper than the highend ones

How's the truck running these days Billy? I was thinking of you the other day when my nephew brought his "new" 1957 M37 through and we spent a few hours crawling around on it. Nice complete ragtop, don't know yet if it runs. He paid less than the new 9.00x16s on it would cost, and got several hundred pounds of mouse poo for free.

How's the truck running these days Billy? I was thinking of you the other day when my nephew brought his "new" 1957 M37 through and we spent a few hours crawling around on it. Nice complete ragtop, don't know yet if it runs. He paid less than the new 9.00x16s on it would cost, and got several hundred pounds of mouse poo for free.

I drive it all the time.
Vroom skree!!!

Latest posts

Back