Helping a bud....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smallfoot

He's rockin' the "Nuttin Special"!
Got introduced to this guy at my favorite bbq stand not long ago. He was all over my rat and we got to talking. He was telling me about his that was giving him fits on a starter issue. We talked quite a while and I had him straightened out on what to do to get his working. By what he was telling me, my first idea was that he was trying to run the wrong starter on his flex plate. Ok, he tried what I was telling him and still couldn't get it to work. So, I took him a starter that I knew was correct for what he had going on yesterday. I had one that only had 485 miles on it that I bought new when I put my old motor in my 31. I knew it was good. He called me this am telling me he was still having problems.
I took a ride and met up at his house. After some failed attempts and some serious looking into his wiring, I found the trouble was a wiring issue and he's back on the road. Pretty cool old GMC. 1951 Gmc, sitting on a mid 70s Chevy 4x4 frame and running gear. He's got a 350 stroker sitting in it with a t350 tranny. He's still got to make a driveshaft for the front but he's up and running. When I turned the key, it was the first time I'd heard it run and the first time in a couple of weeks since he had too. Grins on both of us...It was a good day!!!

`Man it was hot today,hope you had plenty of cold drinks handy.
Man oh man, you got that right! it was supposed to be 96 here by the weather report. Andy's wife got home from work before I left and her car thermometer had 110....We worked on it right where it is in the pix for a while, until I suggested that little 31 behind it could more than likely move it to shade..which we did!!! It was still ungodly hot.

That one is very solid for 64 years old. Down here we get rot much like the north with the salt on the roads. He told me to feel up under the corners when I mentioned how rust free it was. I don't know if GMC did it or if he did, but there were louvers under the corners and no moisture collected there. The rest of it was the same way, pretty much rust free. I gave him a list of things he could get at the parts store and I'd help him rewire it. Under the dash was a wiring nighmare. We had everything working when I left but all needs redone. It's his only running 4 wheel vehicle. Atleast now he has something to go in besides the Harleys, but that's another story. Knuckles, pans, shovels, servicar....jeesh!

Your tool list in this repair includes a blanket and step stool [cl :D
I know he was happy when it started :cool:

While working at his house, yes...:D I told him we'd work in my barn on the wiring. In the shade, with fans,music and I think I have the only tools we need for wiring. He's getting the wire and fittings and he decided rather than remove my starter, he'd buy a new one for me. We'll tackle that when he lets me know he's got the items we need. Probably first thing on the morning we choose, before this little slice of heaven turns to purgatory in the afternoon heat. Andy is 70 and had 5 heart bypasses and he was suffering but willing to get this truck back on the road. Every time I'd get on a roll, he was searching for shade and we'd get a cold beverage to hydrate. Most of his harness out beyond the dash is in fair shape. I'll tuck that up some when I replace the underside dash wires. In his stock cab it'll be a breeze to access compared to mine...:rolleyes: He has all the dash trim but nothing is in the way right now. His are Dolphins with all the guages in 2 devices right above the steering column. Rest of the dash was open across the front without the panels in. His shifter area of the floor and battery are accessed with a 18"x18" cover for the shifter and the stock battery cover and both of those were out too. Nice to be able to have one guy inside and one under and hand stuff back and forth pluse see everything you need to! I'll make it pretty respectable looking under there with not much effort, just time.

I've got a golf cart that won't start, think you could help a brother out?
I've been told all my life that that kind of stuff comes back to you two fold.
Good karma is a good thing.

I've got a golf cart that won't start, think you could help a brother out?
I've been told all my life that that kind of stuff comes back to you two fold.
Good karma is a good thing.

Sure Pops! Drop it by here....:D
Yessir on the karma. Not expecting anything in return but good karma can happen in the most unusual circumstances. I probably wouldn't recognize it...:D

Latest posts

Back