Question for engine builders

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowbilly3

A *real* tin magnet
OK, I've built a dozen or so engines, mostly stock service chevy and ford engines for working pickups. I read a lot and always see them degreeing in the cam on performance builds.
The thing I never read is what are you going to do about it if it doesn't degree in right?
I know you can get + or- 2 degree timing sets and as far as I can see that would be it but they never even talk about that.

The only thing I've ever read about adjusting it is to move or remark the scale tag! The mark on my balancer doesn't even line up with my tag, but I set mine up with a vacuum guage and seldom use a timing light.

That can be checked before you put the heads on with dial indicator. The build books are talking about checking valve timing events with the degree wheel. About the only reason I can make out is to be sure you got the cam you thought you had.

I always degreed all my race engines every time.
Unless you are going for the last little bit of performance, I'd just put it together and not worry about it.
Timing marks vary where they are on the balancer depending on the year of the engine.

A degree wheel is a good thing.

Like Old Iron implied, it will expose "false'' TDC markings and imperfections in a given assembly as it relates to valve timing. Keyways, timing sets, machining tolerances, etc., etc., (camshaft included) may deviate from the intended. The sum of these imperfections may cause a builder to correct the timing... or adjust to his preference.

Whatever the case, degreeing a cam gives opportunity to check, correct or modify timing from "straight up" installations.

I'll shut my trap and leave you with a couple links...

https://www.lunatipower.com/Tech/Cams/HowToDegreeACam.aspx

http://www.compcams.com/Pages/413/cam-timing-lobe-separation-angle.aspx

The Dr is right. I've seen cams, big name brand, off a lot. I use cloye's hex adjust timing chains and they make it easier. I've seen a lot of timing marks off as much as 6 degrees. It's no big deal to degree a cam, after you do 1 it gets easy.

Thanks guys. I just see a lot of reference to it but never explaining what was available to change. Most recently in one of those workbench engine rebuild books. They go into great detail on every aspect and then just say, don't forget to degree the cam.

Never did it myself on a street engine. I tune mostly by ear, so a degree here or there doesn't make a lot of difference. If I were building a race engine, I'd do anything I could to get every ounce of horsepower I could.

most of the time for a street motor i just go straight up. you can get a kit from comp cams that has everything and the timing chin and gears are already set ready to go.

Latest posts

Back