Bound and Determined ... THIS time.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZRodDave

I suppose a lot of you may be tired of my previous failed attempts, but this time I think I really have it figured out. I don't want to restore a car or old truck (Pontiac, '59 Chevy PU) - no money for that anyway, and what I REALLY want is a Rat Rod Truck! So with that in mind, I put together a little mock-up:

This '54 Chevy car frame no longer has engine and trans in it (traded away):

54carchassis_zpsjr1lsfnb.jpg

And this is the first cab I chased after and finally got (early '50s IH):

IHcab_zpsyamad28m.jpg

Cab on chassis with dually rear end (not final, just sort of in place):

P8210245_zpsdbp38nuu.jpg

P8210244_zpstcgjtx5e.jpg

And a front end pic:

P8210246_zpsudlikpsj.jpg

It'll be getting a 350/350 combo, and yes, I AM going to build this! :D

I have a couple of questions:

1) Should I use that dually rear end on it? It's at least a wheel and tire wider than the rest of the truck on each side, but is it too wide?

2) Should I put a "suicide" front end on it? I really like the look of those, but a bit concerned on how it would drive vs. stock from the '54 Chev.

3) Should I "Z" the rear? I was thinking I could cut a couple of V shapes in the boxed frame rails, bend it up to be more flat at the back, then re-weld it. Then I can move the rear end back, since it looks a bit too forward in the pic.

This is a completely boxed frame, and I'll remove the cross sections in front to make room for engine/trans, then brace as necessary. There are no pedals or steering column in it or interior, so that will all come from the "parts bin," as well as brakes and lights and whatever else is needed. Sorry for the crummy pics, but my camera isn't great, and it's not sitting in a real good place for viewing, but it IS in a good place to work!!!

Thanks in advance for any advice, suggestions, or info !!! [cl

I have a couple of questions:

1) Should I use that dually rear end on it? It's at least a wheel and tire wider than the rest of the truck on each side, but is it too wide?

I would, and no I don't think it is too wide. The back of my rat is much wider than the cab and I think it looks fine. Sucks to put on a trailer if you need to though.

2) Should I put a "suicide" front end on it? I really like the look of those, but a bit concerned on how it would drive vs. stock from the '54 Chev.

Never drove one with the suicide front end. My opinion...... if you aren't running some sort of front clip then the 54 independent has to go.

3) Should I "Z" the rear? I was thinking I could cut a couple of V shapes in the boxed frame rails, bend it up to be more flat at the back, then re-weld it. Then I can move the rear end back, since it looks a bit too forward in the pic.

Depends on the look you are going for. Personally I think I would Z the back a bit. You will lose a lot of frame length if you pie cut and bend up so I doubt I would do that.

Thanks for the reply.

I would, and no I don't think it is too wide. The back of my rat is much wider than the cab and I think it looks fine. Sucks to put on a trailer if you need to though.

Never drove one with the suicide front end. My opinion...... if you aren't running some sort of front clip then the 54 independent has to go.

Depends on the look you are going for. Personally I think I would Z the back a bit. You will lose a lot of frame length if you pie cut and bend up so I doubt I would do that.

Yeah, I think the dually rear looks cool, and will probably use it. Hopefully it will never need to go on a trailer. It might be towing one, though. ;)

I have some old rusty fenders from earthman's '37 Chevy truck, but really like the open look of trucks like Bonehead and 8literbeater. I'll probably go suicide, but keep the other just in case. Friend of mine said they drive like a go-kart? Nothing wrong with that! I like go-karts! :D

Not too concerned with the loss of frame length out back, but something to consider. It's not going to get much of a rear end on it. I have a locking toolbox that will probably go there and doesn't take too much room. It's a tough plastic box, which would be nice to lock away stuff like tools and spares and such. Also have to consider where the gas tank goes and what that will be. [S

Good for you Dave! However don't let us down this time, we have tar and feathers and we know where you live. :D
I vote that you keep this as simple as possible for the first go round.
As little complicated reengineering as possible.
I would keep that front suspension for that reason. The engine and radiator would have to go back behind it for aesthetics but that is easier for you than acquiring and engineering a straight axle on a awkward frame. Besides it would be different. :cool:
The duals help the proportions of the wide body. :cool:

I'm with E-man on this, keep the re-engineering uncomplicated on this one and your confidence will stay with you more. Use the existing front suspension, it'll save months of time, hundreds of dollars, and a lot of frustration. Go for it.

My 3 cents.....
Good for you. [cl [cl Time to focus on just one project.
I agree with Mac and Eman in regards to the KISS principle. The suicide front axle is nice but you will have a lot more cost and work involved.
The original intnet of Rat Rodding was the "Use what you got" philosophy.
And I REALLY like the looks of it with the dually rear and the Cab tilted at that angle. It reminds me of some of the Roth style monster cars and tucks that we used to try to draw back when I was a kid.:D:D:D
Good luck and stick to it.[P [P [P
Torchie

Thanks for the encouragement and enthusiasm! Rat Fink Truck, Torchie? I had a couple of those model cars way way long time ago... lol ;)

The previous owner of this frame cut the front springs, so it has MAJOR negative camber and wore out the inside of the tires. Found cheap springs on Eckler's, so change those and it will be ... simpler! Probably the way to go to at least enjoy my first Rat! Unless, ...

If I steal the solid front axle off the '59 Chevy pickup, I'd be one step closer to the suicide front end setup. That has been rebuilt with new wheel bearings, cylinders and brakes (I was told). Also, since the steering box was hacked off this frame, could use that as well. But yeah, keep it simple and it just could happen! LOL Hope so ... :)

I would:

1. center the rearend under the arch in the back.
  2. push the cab as far back as it will go without hitting the rear tires.
  3. set the engine as close as comfortable to the firewall. Where ever it turns out to be.
  4. mount the radiator.
  5. cut off anything forward of the front wheels that is not necessary after that.
This will give you something very close to a suicide front end without changing out the front end. It might be ugly to some folks, but it will be operational and fun. There is not a pretty car on this site according to some people. You can't please 'em all.

Go forth and have fun.

It looks like a decent start. Do you have glass for the cab? At least a windshield is nice but I imagine just a new glass and rubber is more money than you have into what's sitting there. We're ALL guilty of over looking things like that and when you think you are 90% done, 90% of the cash is yet to be spent to make a safe reliable driver.
I probably wouldn't keep the decrepit old chevy front suspension but it doesn't look like a bad frame to work with.
I know there is a fad following to the long stretched out front and back tires right up to the cab but it's not a look I find attractive. But I'm just not a fad person I guess.

.....''If I steal the solid front axle off the '59 Chevy pickup, I'd be one step closer to the suicide front end setup. That has been rebuilt with new wheel bearings, cylinders and brakes (I was told). Also, since the steering box was hacked off this frame, could use that as well''......

If i am keeping this straight, you aren't building the '59 pickup because there are body parts missing? Could you just put the IH cab on it and be done? The engine and trans would just bolt in.

The 54 front suspension was the same one used under the early Corvettes. It ain't pretty, but it got the job done. :D

I think Skip has the right method to build that truck. And I also agree with Willowbilly, I'd get a windsheild and gasket before I decided on anything. Glass can be hard to find, and expensive. The other glass looks flat, so you could get away with plexi or lexan on them...

Honesty is the best policy.

It looks like a decent start. Do you have glass for the cab? At least a windshield is nice but I imagine just a new glass and rubber is more money than you have into what's sitting there. We're ALL guilty of over looking things like that and when you think you are 90% done, 90% of the cash is yet to be spent to make a safe reliable driver.
I probably wouldn't keep the decrepit old chevy front suspension but it doesn't look like a bad frame to work with.
I know there is a fad following to the long stretched out front and back tires right up to the cab but it's not a look I find attractive. But I'm just not a fad person I guess.

Good point about the glass! I have the two back pieces, and yes they are flat. One is spider-web cracked but in tact. Thinking about vinyl wrapping it and keeping it that way. The windshield could be an entirely different matter, though. I'll look into that, thanks! No side windows. :)

If i am keeping this straight, you aren't building the '59 pickup because there are body parts missing? Could you just put the IH cab on it and be done? The engine and trans would just bolt in.

Can't seem to find (or afford) front fenders for that truck, and not going to be putting cheap Chinese stamped ones that don't fit right and cost $650 EACH!?! Let somebody else deal with that. I'll leave it as is for now and hopefully sell it, but if not, then might get back to it one day... Maybe take the front springs out and do the suicide treatment on that one? Hmmm ... [S

The 54 front suspension was the same one used under the early Corvettes. It ain't pretty, but it got the job done. :D

You all are right, especially with my track record so far. I'll replace the front springs ($100 plus shipping from Eckler's, although I think NAPA has them?) and stick with what is there, and K.I.S.S. I don't mind the look of it that much. Thanks again for all the input. [cl

Last edited:
Read through this again, and formulating more of an idea what to do to make it run and drive in the easiest way possible. I think all you guys are right on with the suggestions:

1) Keep the dually, mounted on stock springs.

2) Keep the stock front end and repair as needed.

3) Leave the frame alone for now and make it GO !!! And stop, okay, that too. ;)

And thanks once again for the ideas and input. [thumbs up]

A windshield can be made from lexan. NOT PLEXIGLASS!

The most important thing IMO is to just stick with a plan. Create small goals and stick with them before moving onto the next step. It helps keep you motivated when you can see the small steps of progress. When you jump around it can make you over whelmed.

Yup, that's it in a nutshell.

A windshield can be made from lexan. NOT PLEXIGLASS!

The most important thing IMO is to just stick with a plan. Create small goals and stick with them before moving onto the next step. It helps keep you motivated when you can see the small steps of progress. When you jump around it can make you over whelmed.

... and has, as you all know. This is the plan, and I will stick with it until hell or high water! The latter being not too probable, but the first is on its way. It's called summer in the Valley of the (way too damn hot) Sun.

make it as easy and simple as you can
the sooner it is driving the happier you will be
THEN cut it apart and reinvent the wheel! [cl

make it as easy and simple as you can
the sooner it is driving the happier you will be
THEN cut it apart and reinvent the wheel! [cl

Hahaha! Nope, once it is together it is staying that way! I want to enjoy that driving experience. The cut and re-invent can happen on the next one... :D

Latest posts

Back