Bound and Determined ... THIS time.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good start. Use the 94 frame but move the engine and body back. Shorten the frame as needed. Cut off most of the rear frame so just enough to mount your tank.Mount the radiator SHELL behind the front tires and over the front crossmember. Look around at other cars that have the radiator shell sticking out ahead of the front tires, it looks like a cow catcher on a locomotive.
P.s. Z your frame at the rear using cut off rear sections, do not "pie" cut it. or...use 5" x 3" square tubing.

weld on..........[;)

rough idea

Attachments

• rough idea.jpg
    rough idea.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 29
Keep it Simple, remember?

Go with the axle on top of the leafs then you can use lowering blocks. It's not the best way to do it but it's the quickest and easiest.

Why not? Yes, they can put the axle further away from the springs which creates a bigger lever arm, but I've never had issues.

It will be enough (for now) to put the axle on top and see how it lays out once it progresses. It's all going to be about weight and where the body ends up (it may have to move forward a bit for rear tire clearance). But anything is possible once it is more together and close to driving. WHOLE lot to do before then.

-------------------

RicksGarage - That looks pretty cool, but a little beyond my skills at this time. I have another one to do next ('59 Chevy), though.

I like the grille out front idea and have seen a lot of those - slanted back and looking intimidating! There is a stock Chevy grille from the '30s (I think) that catches my eye every time. It has sort of a "chin." ;)

Everything is coming off that '94 frame; brake lines, brakes, steering, etc. The right front is SO sloppy, I am glad I parted that thing out! It could have killed me! Yes, it could be rebuilt and used, I suppose. We'll see ... First thing first, though, and that is THIS idea!

Lexan, most likely.

A windshield can be made from lexan. NOT PLEXIGLASS!

The most important thing IMO is to just stick with a plan. Create small goals and stick with them before moving onto the next step. It helps keep you motivated when you can see the small steps of progress. When you jump around it can make you over whelmed.

I was just looking up some sizes, thickness and prices online. Looks like pretty much any hardware/home improvement store has sheets. Even saw where Grassroots Motorsports made their own windows for the Miata, so looks like it should be easy to get over this hurdle. They said it was easy to cut and form and mount. Sounds good to me!

We tried to make a plexiglass windshield for an IROC Camaro once, and it was almost a complete failure. As much as we tried heating and bending, it cracked in the upper corner, but did what it had to for the short time we ran that car. Long story, but it was a real PIECE !!! Someone else's cobbling that I inherited and then sold away. Far FAR away...

I was just looking up some sizes, thickness and prices online. Looks like pretty much any hardware/home improvement store has sheets. Even saw where Grassroots Motorsports made their own windows for the Miata, so looks like it should be easy to get over this hurdle. They said it was easy to cut and form and mount. Sounds good to me!

We tried to make a plexiglass windshield for an IROC Camaro once, and it was almost a complete failure. As much as we tried heating and bending, it cracked in the upper corner, but did what it had to for the short time we ran that car. Long story, but it was a real PIECE !!! Someone else's cobbling that I inherited and then sold away. Far FAR away...

To further what 21Willys said, a windshield should never be plexiglass. Plexiglass shatters on impact, where lexan does not (and is actually quite impact resistant).

I don't think either one is legal, windshields are supposed to be laminated safety glass.

Exactly. Why would you waste time effort and money on lexan when you can just source a replacement windshield? International used that same windshield for 10 years and they certainly aren't rare. Do some looking around.

Lexan Is just a trademark name Like Kleenex aka tissue... What we are really talking about is polycarbonate... I use to work at a company that formed polycarbonate sheets for motorcycle windshields... And current federal laws do state front windshields on passenger vehicles are to be made from glass...

Polycarbonate would be fine and most likely no one will ever question it... It does scratch fairly easily unless it is a coated sheet such as FMR (form able marr resistant sheet)

I'm sure this was all info no one cared to know!

:)

Last edited:
You are probably right.

Exactly. Why would you waste time effort and money on lexan when you can just source a replacement windshield? International used that same windshield for 10 years and they certainly aren't rare. Do some looking around.

Yeah, best to be legal and protected. Will do that, eventually.

Since it's too dang hot to do anything but mull things over, the idea of a suicide front end keeps coming back at me. I think with a little help and some dumb luck I can use the solid axle, one of the front springs, steering column and box and some other pieces off the '59 Chevy (took that for sale ad off CL). Going to use the dually rear end also. It just looks right to me. :D

Met a guy whose brother has a '54 Bel Air that he is building, so maybe he needs parts? The family does paint and body and upholstery, so either some trading or some sort of barter.

It's all imagineering and conjecture at this point though, as it is too hot to do anything. I'll be hibernating for the next 3 months ... and thinkin' too much. [S

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back