cowl steering

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1938 Chevy box mounted under the dash. Pitman arm is inside the cab and the draglink is outside.

Any box that was originally on the drivers side frame rail with the pitman arm in the vertical position pointing down will work for traditional steering.

Cross steering is a different monster altogether.

When you do it this way there is a ton of torque placed on the cab so reinforcing is pretty important.

I should also mention that determining where the arm will swing must be done before you weld anything in.

Attachments

• DSC04257.jpg
    DSC04257.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 175
  • DSC04211.jpg
    DSC04211.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 184
  • DSC04213.jpg
    DSC04213.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 175
I ran across a write up on using a Ford pick up steering box for cowl steering recently, can't for the life of me remember where it was. Did a bit poking around, and boxes from mid 60's to later 70's may work out. There are some steering box changes during that period, but it's a similar deal on most of them. They can be a lot larger than most boxes, but the sector shaft is nice and long so the steering wheel can be centered without a sector shaft extention. And there is a huge mounting base that could be used with a internal frame work, and not have to count on the cowl to support the box and stress and strain that can be imposed on just the sheet metal. The biggest hurtle will be available space. Still fairly common and inexpensive to get. Had some pictures, but can't seem to get them to post. I'll see if I can get them on here later.

One steering box that has been used for cowl steering is a BMW 2002 steering box. (2002 is not the year, but the model of the car) My Son had one for a while in the Tudor he was building, here are a couple of pictures of it installed in it.

Don

danscowlsteering4-1.jpg

danscowlsteering5-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back