NC DMV gettin serious

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbo26T

Not sure how many NC rodders are on here,but this article was published in my local "newspaper" yesterday...seems the DMV in Raleigh NC is taking a serious look into cars being registrered/titled using bought ,out-of state,etc titles...There was a post recently on another forum about NCDMV officers nosing around shops,checking cars,asking owners,etc...
Just a heads-up ,if you're planning on titling a hotrod in NC
Stan

Attachments

• File0005.jpg
    File0005.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 51
When I called the ncdmv to ask about registering the homebuilt rod i'm doing,I was told i had to photo document the entire build,the inspector told me once i got a rolling chassis to bring it to them and they would inspect the frame for any numbers to verify it was not stolen,(not to see if it was safe:confused:)then we would fill out a form to send to Raleigh to get a serial number,

I was also told to save every receipt and bill of sale where i had purchased anything for the car,that way once the car was appraised I could compare the two and get a estimated value of the car,

Was also told that once i bought my engine,transmission and rearend that the bill of sales need the numbers off of said parts so the ncdmv could run them to see if they are stolen(bulls++t)when did they start keeping production numbers off of individual parts like this,espescally if the parts are 20-30 years old,but I kinda feel like a circus dog jumping thru hoops for them,oh well if you want to play you gotta pay

Last edited:
Not sure how many NC rodders are on here,but this article was published in my local "newspaper" yesterday...seems the DMV in Raleigh NC is taking a serious look into cars being registrered/titled using bought ,out-of state,etc titles...There was a post recently on another forum about NCDMV officers nosing around shops,checking cars,asking owners,etc...
Just a heads-up ,if you're planning on titling a hotrod in NC
Stan

where are you located turbo26t

I've seen this with so many different things over the years..............what starts in California ends up eventually trickling down to the rest of the country. That goes for fads, fashions, and laws. California has begun cracking down on titling old/built cars for some time now with people like Coddington being arrested, just watch in your State because sooner or later you will see stuff like the NC thing happening there too.

Even Florida, where things have been pretty easy, has begun tightening up. I used to be able to take a clean out-of-state title in to the DMV and walk out with a Florida title in my name. Now they want to look at the vehicle or have a Law Enforcement Officer look at it to verify that this is the same car. Really makes it tough on us honest rodders who are not stealing cars, just rescuing them from abandonment and making a running/driving car out of pieces. They also want their piece of the pie via sales taxes. That "assessed value" thing is to tax you for sales tax you avoided when you bought a car or parts from out of State. Once they agree your car is now worth $ 10,000 or whatever, you will pay sales tax on that.

I think some new laws took effect in Pa either this January or last where you had to register your modified car with all modifications, and those modifications were put into their computer. If an Officer stopped you he could look to make sure no more mods had been made, and if they had you could be fined.

Enjoy your rods now guys, I'm telling you our days are numbered. The tree huggers and lawmakers really don't want us on the road. You can give me all the arguments you want about how we pump money into the economy, etc. I still think they will eventually have their way.

Don

(Once they agree your car is now worth $ 10,000 or whatever, you will pay sales tax on that.)

It's sad that they can tax you twice. Once when you buy your stuff, And once when you want to play with your stuff.

(Once they agree your car is now worth $ 10,000 or whatever, you will pay sales tax on that.)

It's sad that they can tax you twice. Once when you buy your stuff, And once when you want to play with your stuff.

And every year we get another tax bill in the mail on all the vehicles :mad:

Hey ProbChild1953
I'm right close to you I live right down the road from you in Blounts Creek sorryTusk I mixed up the posts when I was replying I realize you live in Wilmington. What kind of cars and trucks do you all own?

Hey Tripletrotrodder, I'm a FNG here and don't have a ride yet. Well actully, my V8 S10 is now running and ready for paint, so I'm planning the next toy for a spring start. I shouldn't have a problem (fingers crossed) with mine cause it aint old iron. I am gonna use a 87 Suzuki Sammy for the frame and most of the body, so I think I can just regester it that way. It just won't look like one when it gets done.:D Have to try and get up with you some time. What is your toy?

Blue

Hi Blue, When you register your truck you should go to the DMV office at Hampstead. They are easy to get along with. I bought a F250 out of Texas and when I went to change the title in Jacksonville they said something was wrong with the title and I would have to send it back to Texas and have it assigned in the name of the guy that I bought it from. I went down to Hampstead and they just stamped everything and I got my new title in the mail in about 3 weeks. No problems there. Sounds like there are several of us in eastern NC. Harleyboy

Good point

Harleyboy makes a good point when it comes to dealing with the DMV/MVA offices. Here in Maryland the main MVA (Motor Vehicle Administration) office is in Glen Burnie, MD. That is the office that deals the most with salvage titles, out of state stuff, etc. and has the most "serious" workers. I've heard horror stories from people who have gone there for title work. On the other hand, Maryland has quite a few "Satellite" locations where the atmosphere is more relaxed and the employees less likely to give us trouble. For best results, go to an out of the way office - I used to live in Wilmington, and Hampstead is definitely out of the way, not the big city like Wilmington proper.

Blue - sounds like you should get your title processed ASAP.

P.S. I thought one could process a title (only) of any vehicle, running or not, right away, with no inspection. That's what I do, before turning a screw, to make sure the vehicle is MINE first! I've also heard horror stories of guys either mid-build, or worse yet, after the build is done, having major title trouble!

440shorty

Hey probchld 1953
You ain't that far away my rides are 58 chevy apache, 54 chevy truck and my gas saver geo metro (40mpg) can't beat it. Whatyear S-10 do you have I have aton of parts for 80's to 93 S-10 trucks. I use the frames for my old trucks. we'll have to meet and check out each others rides sometime.

Latest posts

Back