Can someone bead roll something for me?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should it say?

• It's Not A.......

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just the Tailgate is........

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Other ideas? Post em up!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jmlcolorado

I've got an old ford tailgate for my project international, cause I can't find an international tailgate easily.
I'm thinking of bead rolling "Not A" or "Just the tailgate is a", or anything else witty above the factory Ford script.
I only have about 4.5" by 29" to work with and I'd like to weld it into the tailgate.

Anyone have a bead roller they would be willing to do this for me on?

Also up for ideas on the verbiage also :)

That`s gonna be a fight in a bead roller... just make a plywood hammerform with the mirrored text ,bolt/screw/clamp it to the panel and follow the edges with a blunt chisle and hammer to do that.

oke... I could try to read it all next time...lol
If you want a panel to weld in it`s less wrestling, but I still think you`re better off using a hammerform///

That`s gonna be a fight in a bead roller... just make a plywood hammerform with the mirrored text ,bolt/screw/clamp it to the panel and follow the edges with a blunt chisle and hammer to do that.

oke... I could try to read it all next time...lol
If you want a panel to weld in it`s less wrestling, but I still think you`re better off using a hammerform///

Hum. Hammerforming you say?
That's not a bad idea.
I could print out the text in whatever (simplest) font, transfer that to card paper.
Cut out the text, transfer to plywood, cut that out. Bolt it over the front. Re-use the car paper template on the back side of the work piece to outline where the text is on the plywood template on the other side, and go to town.

I've got an air hammer that would work pretty good for that.

You've got me kinda excited about this now :)

I suppose the other option would be to paint on whatever text so I could change it up in the future if I wanted.

I do plan on stripping all the paint and accelerating patina so as to better match the truck.

Stencil & paint? Or have a sign painter do it. That tailgate is probably 16 gauge And wouldn't bead roll easily. Or else bead roll on a piece of 20 gauge and tack it on the tailgate.

Great work you are doing on the truck, b y the way.

Stencil & paint? Or have a sign painter do it. That tailgate is probably 16 gauge And wouldn't bead roll easily. Or else bead roll on a piece of 20 gauge and tack it on the tailgate.

Great work you are doing on the truck, b y the way.

Yeah it's pretty stout stuff!
I was thinking of using thin material to bead roll, then back it up with another layer inside, and spot weld them all together.

Thanks for the comment on the truck! Went to a show this weekend (horrid hill climb, posted on another thread here) this weekend and feel like I'm overthing the whole thing. I've put twice as much work into everything then I really should have for a rat rod.
But the idea is i wanted all major systems new. Just for reliability aspects.

Latest posts

Back