I'm Gonna Build A Dragster!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, I know that bar is there in the rulebook. I was anticipating that my high back Kirkey seat which fills that gap would be sufficient. Earlier tonight it occurred to me that I might as well put that bar in and not have to argue with anyone about it.
Ratty46, I haven't given the carb scoop any thought yet. Will probably use frog mouth individual scoops. I'm looking for a cool container for a radiator overflow.

If the book calls for the bar, the tech inspector will call for the bar. They can be very narrow minded that way .. you can go through tech at ten different tracks without a problem but the tech gut at the next track will toss you for it. I can tell you stories .... LOL

Looks great Bob. Are you going to paint that thing? If so, you might consider painting the main hoop and the two rear down tubes the color of the car and the rest of the cage black. It might help with the vintage racer illusion. I'm just thinkin out loud.

I put the rear helmet bar in. Also, coated the frame from the firewall forward with duraglass and sanded it. I'm not very happy with the appearance of my welds on the tubing. I know it is strong, just not good looking. NHRA says no grinding on roll cage welds.:(

Gastrick, that is a great idea. The frame is going to be semi-gloss black. But I can paint the other bars body color, which will probably be gold. That way only the "Old School" hoop will stand out.

2009_0409trk0002.jpg

Sparing no expense, I bought an Ace Hardware Dragster Frame Painting Kit.:D

12.jpg

RoddingRon, It says on the paint can: "For goofy little dragsters and '60 Studes".
Moronthethrottle. I took a couple art courses at the community college after I retired and proved that I have no talent whatsoever. I do it for the ideas expressed, not the cartooning ability. Did you do the one you posted? If so, I'm in awe of your talent. Since I can't possibly draw Ivo's digger, here's a pic I took in about 1962. Ivo is crouched behind the roll bar, on the right.

I'm not very happy with the appearance of my welds on the tubing. I know it is strong, just not good looking. NHRA says no grinding on roll cage welds.:(

Don't sweat it Bob W. You should have seen the welds on these cars (with all due respect to the original builders:D)

Moronthethrottle. I took a couple art courses at the community college after I retired and proved that I have no talent whatsoever. I do it for the ideas expressed, not the cartooning ability. Did you do the one you posted? If so, I'm in awe of your talent.

Nope, not me!! I have zero and I mean ZERO artistic ability! I can't even draw a stick man that looks believable. I just stumbled across the dragster cartoon and thought of you, your cartoons and your build, figured you might enjoy it. Keep up the sweet build, truly inspiring....would love to see it first hand someday.

Neat car. Looks like fun.

A couple of years ago, I started collecting pieces for a Gas Rail. It was gonna be powered by a 1953 Jaguar engine and trans. Then I figured that I wouldn't race it enough to justify the build and that the parts would be better used on a street car.

2009_0420trk0001.jpg

Here's the 9" rear end. I assembled it today using the 3.70 Auburn third member that was in my Anglia. Almost all the small parts are painted and the front end is assembled. The flywheel, clutch and trans were bolted to the engine and the whole shootin' match installed in the chassis this afternoon.
Flipper 1938, I know what you were facing. I figure I'll sell my Crosley if this dragster proves to be fun.
With the economy in the tank, I'm facing selling one or more of my cars. Mainly, I like building, and don't intend to stop until my decrepid old body says, "no more". In order to build a new one, I'll need to sell an existing one. As a result, I've put 6 of 'em up for sale, with the intention of selling one or two. I haven't sold a car in 25 years and don't have a good idea of how much to ask. I HATE the process of selling.

2009_0424trk0001.jpg

Got my driveshaft shortened (just a little bit!) today. He did it while I waited. And for a very low price too. It is the last piece needed so I can go full speed on assembly now. I continue to paint parts but am reaching the end of that task. I could be leaving black streaks in the driveway in a few weeks.

Latest posts

Back