36 Ford Bobber Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looking great, and most of us that chop under estimate and my last was not my first, but to say "ya I did the chop" makes it a little easier. [;)

I got the back ground out last night. I'll take the bracing out tonight so I can get inside to finish up the inside of the rear window opening and then start beating on the roof to get it back into shape...I hope!

chop%2B137.JPG

chop%2B138.JPG

chop%2B139.JPG

Thanks guys! Hopefully here before too long I'll get a chance to roll it outside and take a few better pics of the whole thing.

On a different note, I need to order my frontend pretty soon. I'm going with a Speedway drop tube axle and bones I think. I have a question though. I'm most likely going to be running 15" smoothies with baby moons or vintage V8 caps and wide whites. Anyway, I'm not sure which to run, a 4" drop or a 6" drop as those seem to be the options. Thinking of the scrub line, my question is will a 6" drop axle work with 15" wheels and if so, is 6" overkill for the drop on the axle? This will be my first buggy spring/straight axle front end so I have a lot to figure out.

Hey willy I used a six inch dropped axle with 15'' steel wheels, ford spindles and Gm discs. Worked out well. I did need to do some modifications to the steering arms and caliper mounts to do cross steering and keep the tie rod behind the axle. It's in my build thread. Let me know if you want to see any pics at other angles

Last edited:
Thanks Nick. I'll take a look.

I pulled out all the bracing last night and climbed in to finish up the rear window opening. I took a couple of shots of the inside and had to do a mock up. Engine sounds may have been made:D:cool:

chop%2B143.JPG

chop%2B144.JPG

chop%2B142.JPG

chop%2B141.JPG

chop%2B140.JPG

As I keep telling people, it took 80 years to look this good so how could I possibly ruin that with paint:eek: It would take a lot more straightening to be paintable anyway, you just can't see the wobbles and such so well in the pics ;)

I've been working on a guy to get a rear end pulled for this project for the last 4-5 months at least and he finally did it I so picked it up on Saturday. It's a Ford 8.8 limited slip with 3.73 gears and disk brakes out of an Exploder. Look's like the internals are good in it so I'll seal it up with fresh lube, clean it and redo the brakes for good measure and call it good. These things are hard to come by in my immediate area for some reason, at least at a reasonable price, so I have to jump on them if they show up. That's why the long wait on this one.

I'm not quite sure that my chain is heavy enough to hold this thing:rolleyes: LOL

axle.JPG

I'm still workin, just don't have any pics to add. I've been banging away on the roof trying to get the worst of massive wobbles out. It's never going to be smooth but I'd like to not have bowls that will hold water in the top at least! Anyway, it's getting there.

I got seriously sick between my last post and now. I missed almost 2 weeks of work which has never happened to me before so it was a rough one. I'm on the mend and slowly getting going again although I run out of steam earlier than before so I'm not fully recovered yet.

I am slowly being convinced to go more and more traditional with this build. I think I will learn more in the long run by going a bit more traditional with it anyway. So, I was given this 40 Ford frame and last weekend my dad brought it up for me. My goal is to get the frame modified and have a rolling chassis before the weather turns in the fall. I think that's a reasonable goal and I'm already working on getting parts together.

IMG_3094.JPG

Hey Willy, sorry to hear about the illness, take it easy and get well, then you can tear into the build. It really sucks to be talking about fall:eek:

Wow, it's been awhile since I worked on the truck and posted anything! Since my last post, plans have been changed up bit. I'm still going to use the frame that I got but it's not going to get worked on until next spring. I am going more and more traditional with the build as well. I realized that I need to have a lot more parts collected before I can really set the frame up right. Also, my buddy that has a frame jig and lots of experience wasn't able to help out this summer and I think it's well worth waiting for his help. Anyway, I have started collecting parts at least. I picked up a heavily dropped 33-4 axle with a set of 46-8 spindles and hubs. I also got a set of 40 juice brake backing plates and have started getting the brakes together. I bead blasted and painted the insides of the backing plates to have them nice and clean and brushed and lightly oiled the outsides to keep the patina going. I also found a set of F1 front shock mounts and cleaned them up. Probably should have left them dirty but one was all covered in under coat so they needed to be cleaned.

IMG_3367.JPG

IMG_3362.JPG

IMG_3365.JPG

IMG_3370.JPG

My buddy had this cool set of 16x4 wheels that he sold me. Only 2 of them had pinstripes. I managed to find a third one with stripes that match so now I need one more or I will try to stripe one of the other two that I have myself.

IMG_3366.JPG

Latest posts

Back