1936 chevy low cab build 1.5T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ideas? .........yea.....don't do it:eek:
bought my home 30 yrs ago, built in 1900.......still working on it...haha
no really just kiddin' congrats on the marriage and becoming a home
owner....and good luck with the brake issue...........wish I had a solution
for you....

Congrats on the up coming wedding!! I've been married to the same woman for 43 years today. 41 good ones with 2 that I would do differently.

I would put a power bleeder on the brake system before tearing into to it. It doesn't take much air in lines to make for sorry brakes.

Congrats on the up coming wedding!! I've been married to the same woman for 43 years today. 41 good ones with 2 that I would do differently.

I would put a power bleeder on the brake system before tearing into to it. It doesn't take much air in lines to make for sorry brakes.

Congratulations! !!!!

congrats on the nuptials!

a couple words of advice for even those completely in love and getting married.

if she says it twice, its what she wants.
you can spend two weeks fighting about something before you give in, or you can just give in right away and forget about it. no sense in dragging it out and doing irreparable damage if its not going to change.
if what she wants doesnt work out, never say I told you so. in 20 years, if you still remember, bring it up then.
make up funny names for embarrassing things and joke about them. farting isnt reverence, unless thats the funny name you gave it.

thats all I got!

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

Lots going on this summer.. but I have to squeeze in some truck time... Believe it or not I got my brakes all sorted out... and man they are good! almost too good

I had to disassemble the drum to figure it out but thats ok, it was worth it... I was a little concerned my rebuilt wheel cylinders were going to be the culprit.. nope.. I was just doing the adjusters completely wrong.. these are not self adjusting. I thought the adjusters were turned opposite of each other to push each shoe out. That was incorrect, both adjusters clockwise to bring the shoes out. So before I had one shoe out and one shoe in, and this set up pushes against itself so with one shoe not contacting the drum I would get no push on the other shoe.. and therefore no stopping power..

I made it to the gas station and beyond.. had it out for probably an hour, drove past a little car show.. Dad suggested pulling in.. But I just wanted to drive!

one less issue on the list! I am now messing with the brake light switch.. It seems to work for a while but then it starts acting up and brake lights stay on.. need to figure out a stiffer return set up.. details..

thanks guys

Sounds like you can really start driving it finally! [cl

Fantastic job on the build by the way. The attention to detail if above and beyond!

Thanks guys.. felt good to cruise a bit

Sounds like you can really start driving it finally! [cl

Fantastic job on the build by the way. The attention to detail if above and beyond!

I still have some more details I want to do.. now that Im up and running I might get around to some of those...

Wow, it has been forever since I have been on this site... good to hear you got this on the road Mike.

thanks bonehead..!

Slash been forever since I have talked to you, hope everything is well. Did you ever get your truck done?

Wish i could say everything is rosy but got the death wobble last sat when I was out.. Oh and the gas tank is weeping ever so slightly...

Ill get it... eventually...

Plan is to re-do the one king pin. I used an adjustable reamer when I did the kingpins, and I have always known the one was too loose.. Well time to rectify that. I was able to (well actually dad figured out the part number) for just the bushings so its only 9 bucks for the pair of bushings, but I went ahead and got an extra set right away.. just in case.. I have a loaned reamer set up so.. Sat we will fix the kingpin..

I also think I am going to put a larger steering stabilizer on as well, the one for a 70s vw probably isnt sufficient to handle the big tires I have.

I also (im sure this seems like a no brainer) need to have the tires balanced. Not entirely sure where I can have them balanced as they are not like a modern wheel... I think also I still have concern in the back of my mind that because I built them they will tell me they cant get them to balance..

maybe I need to locate one of those places that balances them on the vehicle.. the shave and balance places..

We will see... still plugging away

Find a dealer that balances big truck tires. TCI, GCR are a couple of places around here. Those centers are just big truck centers, so it shouldn't be a problem.

What does your stabilizer look like? I have a brand new one that came with a Jeep lift kit. The owner decided to go with a dual unit so this one did not get used. I can send it to you for nothing if you can use it. [P

*Edit* - I found the pic of the stabilizer you are running. The one I have looks like about 4 times the diameter of that one. I'll try to get you a pick of it tomorrow

Find a dealer that balances big truck tires. TCI, GCR are a couple of places around here. Those centers are just big truck centers, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah I figure I will end up at a big truck place, just havent had the chance to dig into that .. yet

What does your stabilizer look like? I have a brand new one that came with a Jeep lift kit. The owner decided to go with a dual unit so this one did not get used. I can send it to you for nothing if you can use it. [P

*Edit* - I found the pic of the stabilizer you are running. The one I have looks like about 4 times the diameter of that one. I'll try to get you a pick of it tomorrow

I was looking at jeep wrangler stabilizers as an option, as well as full size pickup trucks.. havent fully decided on what direction to take on it yet.. Its hard to tell how big they are, difficult to find the diameters of the stabilizer on any of the data sheets... How big (diameter) do you think the jeep one is?

Thanks for the input guys!

Its hard to tell how big they are, difficult to find the diameters of the stabilizer on any of the data sheets... How big (diameter) do you think the jeep one is?

It is probably a 2.5" diameter or so. It looks a lot like a front gas shock for like a C10 pick up if that makes sense. I will measure it and send you a pic tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back