1952 F-6 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All those pages of non-build show how much the people here care for you. You are an interesting guy and have had a lot of life experiences most of us will not have. Not to mention, you are a very good artist/builder that can succeed with very little moola.

We should clone you.

Thanks bob w...
You are a heck of a good builder as well. And if you do clone me make sure to get the version with all the OEM parts still attached.:D I really do appreciate the fact that the gang on this site read my ramblings and even more, Reply.

I spent about an hour and a half today going through the build and the life. Didn't read everything, but did get a look at most of the pics and an idea of the life. I am amazed and impressed that the build continues through all the life stuff.

I missed what happened to the flathead.

The flat head went away after I picked up the supposed running Rocket V-8. The Flatty needed a rebuild for sure and though the block looked good when I pulled the heads it had a bent valve and a few other issues.
I used the money from the sale to pick up the adapter parts that I need to install the Rocket. I haven't given up on the Rocket yet. Just taking a break from it.
I started out this build with the intent of running a Nailhead that I had so at this point we are on engine #3. LOL
This is a good lesson in why so many people run Small Blocks. Easy to work on. Inexpensive to buy and parts are plentiful. Too bad they don't fit in the time frame of my build.:)
See you all tomorrow.......
Torchie.

Whenever I see an SBC I just quit looking. They are so common they aren't interesting. (Of course they're common because they're easy, inexpensive, small and work well.) Something as unique as your Ford needs a unique engine like the Rocket. You'll get it to run.

I think that back in the day an Olds engine replaced many stock flatheads.

Whenever I see an SBC I just quit looking. They are so common they aren't interesting. (Of course they're common because they're easy, inexpensive, small and work well.) Something as unique as your Ford needs a unique engine like the Rocket. You'll get it to run.

I think that back in the day an Olds engine replaced many stock flatheads.

Indeed they did DJ.
That's one of the reasons that I went with it as it is legit for this time period.
when the OHV Cadillac and Olds engines came out in 49 they tolled the death knell for the Flathead.
The company that I got the adapters from to mate the Olds engine to the Ford trans have been making them since the early 50'S.
When I get this beast running and can scrounge up the money I will use a set of the 1949 Olds Valve covers with the top mounted wire holders. It will back date the look of the engine even closer to what I'm aiming at.
Torchie

It's the little stuff......

Tiding up some odds and ends today.
Now that the front fenders are securely mounted it's time to deal with some inner fender braces.
Since the front fenders are now sitting lower than they were in stock formation the original 41 braces won't work. So I whipped some up out of 3/8 all thread and some welded on washers. Cut a slot in the end of the rod and weld the washer in.
Pics 1-3. This is the issue with 70 plus year old sheet metal. Even though these fenders were in great shape rust wise they are still distorted from years of use.
The lower skirt of the fender behind the tire on the PS was too close to the tire and on the DS it is too far away.
Pic 4. I used the all thread so that I can have some adjustability to the braces by just turning a nut to lengthen or shorten.Then when all is said and done I will lock them in.
Pic 5-6. That's better.:)
Thanks for stopping by........
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_2690.jpg
    IMG_2690.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2694.jpg
    IMG_2694.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2691.jpg
    IMG_2691.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2693.jpg
    IMG_2693.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2696.jpg
    IMG_2696.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2689.jpg
    IMG_2689.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 16
More odds and ends.....
When I redid the brake system I rebuilt the original MC becuse it was less expensive and I had a kit on hand. I knew it was a roll of the dice as it was fairly cruded up. I never could get a good pedal with it so today I replaced it with a new one from Van Pelts.
Pictures tell the story.
Everyone have a safe and Happy 4th of July.....
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_2709.jpg
    IMG_2709.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2707.jpg
    IMG_2707.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2704.jpg
    IMG_2704.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2701.jpg
    IMG_2701.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 15
Went to work on making the F-series truck seat fit.
Since I am building the truck to fit me this will be bolted thru the floor with no sliders. The next guy can do that.[ddd
I took 5 inches out of the back rest to get it below the rear window. There will boards on the bottom and back to attach the upholstery to.
I will be able to use 4 inches of foam on the bottom.(Not that I need any extra padding.:rolleyes: )
This setup is the same as I used for the pics that I posted earlier of me in the truck making engine noises.:eek: :p :cool:
Thanks for looking in....
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_2712.jpg
    IMG_2712.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2710.jpg
    IMG_2710.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2713.jpg
    IMG_2713.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2717.jpg
    IMG_2717.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2730.jpg
    IMG_2730.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2731.jpg
    IMG_2731.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 14
Nice work on the seat frame. I tried doing something similar on a past project; even with 4" of foam I was bottoming out on the plywood. ( I weigh about 155#) There are different densities of foam, so maybe there was some that was more dense than I had.

One of the forums talked about cutting a butt sized hole in the plywood. Then they stapled some stretchy stuff that looks like seat belts over the hole. them used the foam.

I built an aluminum bomber seat - it was either freezing cold, or blazing hot. But the cheek shape on the bottom made it more tolerable than the flat foam covered plywood. (Didn't end up using it.)

I have ended up using late '90's Mustang seats in the last 3 projects. They are about 5" butt to floor without the sliders.

One other thing to check out is the inclination on the seat bottom. If the front is up a few degrees they are a lot more comfortable, you get a little more leg room, and you don't feel like you're sliding off the front all the time. Problem with that, is the back needs to lean back an equal amount and you don't seem to have any room to the rear.

Seats are always an issue on channeled cars DJ. Plus when you chop them as well.......:eek:
I am going to use some high density foam or something that won't squish flat when I put my dainty bottom on it. I have seen the webbing that you spoke about and that is still an option as well.
And you are correct in regards to the angle of the seat back It is just about a 90. There will be some room for adjustment as nothing is bolted down yet.
The truth is that many of the custom cars from back in the day were a PITA to drive. Most guys always had a "Spotter" with them for parking and to help see other cars. Drive ways were a real challenge and I have read tales of some custom car owners carrying planks in the trunks of their cars so that they could get in and out of driveways. That's why they started to put heavy duty casters on the bottoms of the frames at the rear of the cars.
Lots of difficulties but the cool factor was off the charts.....
Torchie

I have some first hand experience with a similar cab. Check out post 3 and 10 on the first page of my F2stang build (link at the bottom of my posts). Seats were a real problem.

The foot wells got pretty narrow as well.

Nice build DJ.
These cabs aren't any too big. And once you start whacking at them they get smaller real quick.:eek:
It seem to me that humans as a species were a lot smaller way back when.:D
Back out to the shop for now......
Torchie

Getting ready to make some final adjustments to the hood so I installed the good grill. Hood now latches shut as well.[cl
And just for yucks(And since I was on the ground already) I stuck in the two smaller ones as well. Big difference.
Off to the in-laws for a 4th of July fish fry. And before you ask smallfoot. We are eating Walleye tonight.:D
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_2734.jpg
    IMG_2734.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2738.jpg
    IMG_2738.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2754.jpg
    IMG_2754.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 18
That truck looks great! I'm gonna have to take your word for it that walleye is good....They don't swim around here!

Latest posts

Back