1934 Auburn build....my way

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hankthebigdog

I started on the 1934 Auburn and thought I would attempt to do a build thread on her. It may take the rest of my days to finish her, but here goes.
This is the day I unloaded her from the trailer and sat the parts up in a mock up fashion. Someday ...........it will be together.

Attachments

• 1934 auburn 013.jpg
    1934 auburn 013.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 208
  • 1934 auburn 016.jpg
    1934 auburn 016.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 141
I gathered a 9 inch ford 31 spline rear end from a 66 ford truck I have on the place that I use around here as a donor car. I am looking into mounting the rear axle on a set of international leaf springs from the front of a 48 IH truck I found at a friends junk yard.[length is close I think]
I have been working on mounting the rear axle on shackles onto the frame so as to get a measure for the wheel base of this car. I have now found the specs to be wheelbase to be 119in. I looks like I will need longer springs on the rear to let it get low enough to look correct. Still ciphering on that.

Got the frame to a stage I can set the wheels on the ground[stands] to get a look at the wheel base and visualize the front axle assembly. I am going with a new speedway 4 in. drop tube axle with ford spindles and chevy disk brakes. All new front suspension from speedway ordered and on the way.
Parts arrived and I am looking through the set up on the” red head”. I am now in the process of attaching the fenders to the frame to get the exact location of the axle. I will be setting spring perches next after a little more grinding and cleaning of the frame.[12-4-14]

Attachments

• front clip for measure.jpg
    front clip for measure.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 111
  • axle day 12-7-14.jpg
    axle day 12-7-14.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 113
adding some more

12-20-14..Out of school for the Christmas break and I am on go for the front axle mount . I got the front springs mounted and the axle perches mounted on top of the springs to lower it some. Tried under and it was way too tall. After a long day in the shop, I have the axle welded in at 7 degrees with the motor sitting in it for weight. I have not decided how to steer it yet, but that will come.

Attachments

• 4 in.drop front .jpg
    4 in.drop front .jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 51
12-23-14….ok, today I started on redoing and dropping the rear springs about 3 inches. This was a long day of head scratching and trial and error to get it to where it looks close. I may be taking some of the leafs out to soften it up, but that will be later.[

Attachments

• 9 in. mounted.jpg
    9 in. mounted.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 66
  • spring and shackles.jpg
    spring and shackles.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 59
hope I aint boring you guys

12/26-27/14….today I worked most of the time on the assembly of the front hubs and such. I got it completed but it takes a long time when you are working alone. I pulled a couple of roller wheels to put it on the ground and make her a roller.

Attachments

• ROLLER 001.jpg
    ROLLER 001.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 50
  • ROLLER 003.jpg
    ROLLER 003.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 55
12/28/14….I got some help from my church brothers and we sat the body on the frame. She is officially in the shop and is starting to look like a project. I adjusted the body to go over the frame modifications that were made on it before I saved its life. I worked most of the afternoon on getting the door mechanisms loosened up and called it a day.

notice the rust out in the bottom of the passenger side doors. That is all I have to actually cut out and patch.

Attachments

• body on 001.jpg
    body on 001.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 89
  • body on 002.jpg
    body on 002.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 96
  • body on 003.jpg
    body on 003.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Latest posts