RRBIED Build - 39 Chevy One Ton

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As requested...

Photos of the 39, the s10, the Camaro and motor, etc.

However, the photo of the parts all laid out.. Anyone know what some of these things are? All this stuff was in the cab. Some of the obvious stuff like running board mounts I know. Some other obscure things I do not. Any value in these?

Also, enjoy the chaos of my garage. haha

Attachments

• IMG_0993.jpg
    IMG_0993.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1561.jpg
    IMG_1561.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0988.jpg
    IMG_0988.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1562.jpg
    IMG_1562.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1342.jpg
    IMG_1342.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1346.jpg
    IMG_1346.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1422.jpg
    IMG_1422.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1559.jpg
    IMG_1559.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1283.jpg
    IMG_1283.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1558.jpg
    IMG_1558.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 27
The two beds. Pretty big difference in how good a shape the new one is compared to the old. And it matches color? Score..

Attachments

• IMG_1560.jpg
    IMG_1560.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1563.jpg
    IMG_1563.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 21
I agree with Sam! Don't get rid of that stuff till you fab up all the parts and pieces you'll need to on this build.

Hahaha yeahhh I asked that. Told y'all I was a newbie. I didn't get rid of anything. Just piled them all up in a corner.

As for progress, I took a wire wheel to the frame where the motor mounts and got rid of tons of caked up oil. Cleaned it up and laid some primer. Also played with the motor mounts and 350 sbc swap kit mounts. Found out that a 4cyl frame doesn't have the frame side mount holes tapped. So I gotta get some bolts with nuts to attach the mounts tomorrow.

Been really back and forth on the idea of paint. I saw a guy on YouTube do a clear coat wet sand combo. Looked pretty sharp. But the idea of gloss just don't sit with me. I wanna keep the patina look, but also wanna protect the body from eating itself. I'm leaning towards paint. Finding a similar red the truck is now and doin that with black.

Should hopefully get the motor in place tomorrow and I pick up the clutch kit tomorrow as well. I have eye surgery next week so I'm tryin to do as much as I can!

Thank y'all for following, and for keeping me from makin mistakes like trading off parts :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 12
If it isn't going to sit outside, you can just clean it really well and wax it and that will help a lot to protect it without messing up the patina. It will shine it up though. Or just drive it as is. I assume it won't be seeing salt so as long as it's stored in a fairly dry place, you should be OK.

Looking for some technical advice. 95 S10 frame, 2wd, 4cyl. I need to move the lower control arm out of the way so I can get up behind the motor mounts and attach nuts to the bolts. If I remove the two circled bolts, am I going to face the tension release from the spring in a violent manner? And will it be easy to put back up in there to re-mount the lower control arm?

Advice, links to a how-to, links to another thread... Anything helps. Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 12
Remove the spring first. Look up S10 spring removal. You need a pickle fork and a spring compressor to do it safely - usually you can rent both. It can be done without, but there is a lot of stored energy that can release in an uncontrolled manner - in other words .... OH S**T!!!! :eek:

Don't even try to take those bolts out without releasing the energy in that spring. Death wish.

Remove the spring first. Look up S10 spring removal. You need a pickle fork and a spring compressor to do it safely - usually you can rent both. It can be done without, but there is a lot of stored energy that can release in an uncontrolled manner - in other words .... OH S**T!!!! :eek:

Don't even try to take those bolts out without releasing the energy in that spring. Death wish.

Thank God I didn't just say screw it then! Thank you much.

I rented a spring compressor yrs ago to install some camaro front springs. It was a big spindle with cast thingies that hold the spring. Turned out someone before me hit those with a hammer and caused it to crack when I had the spring fully compressed. No ball joint in place when it blew...I was soooo lucky the top of the spring was already in the frame. I swear it would have taken off my head and still fly through the wall behind me... there`s that much energy in there.... just sayin :rolleyes:

Alright. So I last left y'all asking about springs. Turns out I was way too lazy for that whole process so I cut holes in order to put on the motor mount bushings.

These were from a v6 s10, and my frame was tapped for a 4cyl. If you don't know, they use different mount holes. So what I ended up doing was drilling out the holes I needed and running bolts thru the frame to attach the mounts. That's where the holes I cut came in to play. I put some tape on one side of the wrench to hold the nut in as I fed the wrench in to meet up with the bolt. Huge pain in the ass, should've cut bigger holes. Thank God I got that sorted out.

I then threw on the adapters that go to the 350, put the motor on the hoist, and had a little dance setting that thing on in there. It's a tight fit.. I can already tell I gotta do something with the power steering and fuel filter. Other than that it looks solid.

Then, I left for eye surgery! Hooray.. So I'll be back at it soon I hope. Next up, slap on the NV3500 I scored. Then it'll be body and bed mock up!

Thanks for tuning in this week!

I gotta figure out how to upload more than one photo at a time from my phone. But for now, here's where I am until my eyes heal.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 28

Latest posts

Back