Pexto 132 foot shear

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutch

RRR Supportor
I picked up a Pexto shear tonight. I`ve never seen one for sale overhere, it was an hour drive and the price was good so I brought it home.

Capacity is 18# but I`ve also seen the rated at 16# [S Can anyone here tell me what the difference is? Maybe the cutting angle? they look the same to me...

I get a pic or 2 tomorrow. I`m pretty happy with the find :)

Congratulations, dutch! [cl

Just thinking out loud: Since 16ga is 15% thicker than 18ga, I'd imagine the cutting blade is the limiting factor. I've abused brakes and shears. Deflection is the problem, so I'd think the same machine rated for 16ga would have a heavier, stiffer blade and probably a ratio increase.

Congratulations, dutch! [cl

Just thinking out loud: Since 16ga is 15% thicker than 18ga, I'd imagine the cutting blade is the limiting factor. I've abused brakes and shears. Deflection is the problem, so I'd think the same machine rated for 16ga would have a heavier, stiffer blade and probably a ratio increase.

yes, deflection always is. I`ve no 16ga shear to compare. I cant image there would be any difference in the castings but heavier blades could very well be the case. Also this shear does not have a hold down for the panel. I`ve read this was an option but maybe it was standard equipment on a 16ga shear too.
I`ll tear it apart in the next weeks or so for inspection and adjustment. Maybe it will reveale a thing or two.
I`d love to see the 132ft shear too... :eek::D

[cl[cl would love a shear[P[P

So would I! I've done a lot of work on shears in my previous life - I'm guessing it's an oldie, so it's likely well built (heavy!). I'd advise getting the blades ground while it's apart, a good inspection and set up of the gibs (make sure they are not worn and able to be set up to spec). I'd check the blade beds for warpage while it's apart too. You may have to shim to get the blade gap consistent all the way across. Blade gap should be set to about 7% of what you want to cut.

thanks for those links Doc. Printed the adjustment specs and I`ll be looking out for one of those catalogs ...
I love that old paperwork.
I cut some pieces of 19ga and I`m already in love with this little machine. Looking forward to getting it back to top condition.

Attachments

• IMGP6051.jpg
    IMGP6051.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMGP6052.jpg
    IMGP6052.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMGP6053.jpg
    IMGP6053.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMGP6054.jpg
    IMGP6054.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 33
You can never have to many tools or machines that might make your life easier in my opinion. My problem would be if it said 16ga. max I would think it would handle 14ga. and on and on.

Nice score.

I think I`ve met the limitations of every single tool or machine I own. It`s either capacity or shape which is the culprit. Once you go past those limits, you make a choice to possibly ruín the tool. My stash of pos tools is long gone and nowadays my quality tools are used for what they were designed for. Most will out-live me for sure.
When I still had my blacksmith shop, I was killing tools for a living... :D

I`ve used it a few times now and decided it needs TLC... I love this thing but it cuts like crap. Since I can never fix something without tearing it down for a complete overhaul, I tore it down... :D
Lower blade is in great shape, upper will be off for sharpening next week.

Attachments

• IMGP6583.jpg
    IMGP6583.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMGP6584.jpg
    IMGP6584.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMGP6581.jpg
    IMGP6581.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 19
yes, deflection always is. I`ve no 16ga shear to compare. I cant image there would be any difference in the castings but heavier blades could very well be the case. Also this shear does not have a hold down for the panel. I`ve read this was an option but maybe it was standard equipment on a 16ga shear too.
I`ll tear it apart in the next weeks or so for inspection and adjustment. Maybe it will reveale a thing or two.
I`d love to see the 132ft shear too... :eek::D

I'd like to see the trailer you'd haul it on[ddd:D

Latest posts

Back