widow maker rims

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offroadrolls

I need to address the tires and wheels on the 59 GMC 370 I bought. The tires are 20".... 8.25 I think... I've read about "widow makers" vs snap ring rims etc but still can't quite wrap my head around the difference enough to know exactly what I have. When I was a teen I worked with snap ring tires off big trucks so I'm not really afraid of those but if I had my choice, I'd much rather upgrade to either a 19.5 or a 22.5 " tubeless rim and tire. Unfortunately, this old truck has a 6 lug wheel so it's kind of tough finding a source for them. I know there are a fair amount of guys on the forum here that have more experience than me with these "big" wheels. Any knowledge or advise is appreciated. Thanks

This one looks like a snap ring rim, I can see the split in the ring.

attachment.php

Is this a widow maker? I don't see a split ring.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2360.jpg
    IMG_2360.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2361.jpg
    IMG_2361.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 87
Check out wheels for UPS trucks
You might google
6 lug budd WHEEL 19.5 x 6.00 motorhome truck DUAL rims dodge ford

All great input and suggestions, thanks to all! I went the bus route because I have a friend that wrenches for the city so I figured he might have a line on some used ones. He in turn gave me the number of a guy he uses out in Grand Junction for the big truck parts. I called him and he's going to look to see what he might have and get back to me.....got my figures crossed. Then I'll have to put rubber on them. $$$$$$$ :eek:

I've got a water trailer made out of an old bobtail truck chassis that had widow makers on it. My local farm store had a set of new wheels to fit it for about $50 each.

Regular tubeless wheels. Check with one of your local farm coop stores...I guess you have them there? Do you have a cotton gin nearby? They always have lots of farm implement wheels.

Murdoch's is all we have and they just have trailer wheels in 15" and 16" five or 6 lug. The guy in Grand Junction says they don't make 6 lug 22.5's anymore but, he has 2 in old stock at 180 each. He'll keep an eye out for some used ones. The commercial truck rims like on the NPR Izuzus and such are 19.5 but rubber for those only goes up to about 33" diameter. 8.25 20's like are on my truck are about 37 inch so I need at least that. I found a good source for 9 x 20 split "rings" @ 40.00 each but those would be for tube type tires only. But, I found out they do make a 9 R20 Radial tire for those rims. So, I could go with 9 20 split ring wheels, radial tubes and 9 R20 radial tires and life would be good until I got a flat and couldn't just put a plug in it. Last, the tires on it now hold air and it rolls, I have a ton of stuff to do on the truck before I actually "need" tires.So I'm just going to keep looking for the holy grail 6 lug 22.5 one piece tubeless rim on old school buses and class A motor homes from the 80's and 90's

Latest posts

Back