Big Block Bantam

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya Bob I'm with Bama on at lease the starter & kill switch. I had the same situation in my 65 corvette super gas 9.90 car. I left very thing on the dash except the starter button & kill switch. Sometimes after doing my burnout I would get on the brakes to fast & hard and kill the motor, real nice having switch right where you can reach it. Glad you raised the rear of the body, the forward tilt looks 60's style.[cl[cl Keep at it, looking great, going to be fun ride to morning coffee with the boys;):cool:

A couple little items done today. Made a switch plate and mounted on the right side of the shifter. I put on the right side because it was hard to operate on the drier's side. Not enough room and my knee was in the way. Made a GPS mount and put it on the dash panel where the switches used to reside.

Attachments

• more stuff 001.jpg
    more stuff 001.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 45
  • more stuff 002.jpg
    more stuff 002.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 45
Outdoor spring clean up today. No Bantam work.:(

Good one Bruno. At my age I need the GPS to find the staging lanes and the return road.[S

Actually, I use the speedometer function in the GPS. I have one unit and I move it from one hot rod to another.

Ya Bob that looks like it will work great, you will like the switches within arms length.

I installed a regular gauge size GPS in my 1971 F250 that shows mileage as the original odometer stopped working and it is a pain to get to. It don't have to read very high as most trips are only a few miles now a days.
37.jpg

Ya Bob, it only shows mileage on this unit but that is what I wanted. Found another that had both RPM & Mileage. Found them on the "Bay". They are China cheep-o units but it works fine.

T'was garage cleaning day. Intended to put the Hupmobile roadster in the back garage. After an all night rain, the dolly got stuck in the soft lawn. Gonna have to get some young muscle to help me move it tomorrow.

Removing it from the shop revealed the roadster pick up. I haven't seen it for quite a while with all the crap that was stacked around it.

Back to the Bantam. Found the best route for the shifter cable and made the appropriate holes in the aluminum panels. Did a number of minor tasks such as making a cap for the distributor recess in the firewall/cowl.

Attachments

• Mix 001.jpg
    Mix 001.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 56
  • Mix 004.jpg
    Mix 004.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Mix 005.jpg
    Mix 005.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 51
Gess it's raining all over, rained cats & dogs all day out here on the coast, more all week.;)

Some of us store our scrap metal on a bench or rack but you just got so many toys you have to use them for storage.[;)

I'm starting to hear that BB clearer each day. Keep at it buddy.[dr

Oops, Had to cut access holes in my new rear wheel tubs to finish welding the main cage hoop.

Got out the JD2 bender and started on the door bars. Put a curve on the end for more shoulder room. The driver's door bar has been trimmed to fit.

The last pic shows the placement of the door bar. They won't be welded in til the car is almost finished.

Attachments

• fri 001.jpg
    fri 001.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 45
  • fri 002.jpg
    fri 002.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 46
  • fri 005.jpg
    fri 005.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 44
  • fri 006.jpg
    fri 006.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 48
Looking real fine Bob.

I'm I right that you are going to have both door bars welded in and not pined so you can swing them out to get in? On my vette I had two bracket welded to the main down bars with sleeves for a bolt on one end & T quick connect pin on the other. Looking at the angle you have them mounted doesn't look like it will be to hard to get in and out. May want to look at a swinging unit for the driver side.[;)[;)[;)

Keep at it and stay well/safe from us on the coast. :cool:

No Pops, never a pipe fitter. And not very good at rollcage fitting or MIG welding pipe to pipe. But, as long as it is strong...

Tom, not sure I'll have to make swing out door bars. I have the kit on hand if needed.

Today I primed the new parts of the roll cage and select other places with a 1 1/2" foam brush. I did this so all of you folks who are hunkered down would have something to do. Watch paint dry. :D

Included is a real time pic of Minnesota spring, Easter Sunday.

Attachments

• primer 002.jpg
    primer 002.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 38
  • primer 003.jpg
    primer 003.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 37
  • snoe 001.jpg
    snoe 001.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 35

Latest posts

Back