38 Chevy sedan

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the assembly fit nice. About 1.5 inches from each fender lip. It looked good, too...from the back. From the side, it looked terrible...like a big ******* roller skate. I hated it...I hated it so much I didn't take a picture. :mad::mad::mad:

Sorry, skull.

What stood out to me, is how fat the fenders are and how it begged for a FATTER look. So I started inching the wheels out...

2'' spacers, sidewalls tight to the fender...

IMG_0489.jpg

A couple more inches and crowning the opening...

IMG_0500.jpg

Another inch or so and I quit here. This I like best and I believe it's the final plan.

IMG_0507-Copy.jpg

And one more pic. I stuck the tire back under it (just for you, skull :D) where it would have been. Told ya it looked terrible.

IMG_0469.jpg

not bad

no, l really like it with the tire tucked up in the fender-well:D

makes it look cleaner, but, that is just me, l'd tuck the tires.

thanks for the pics,

Later :cool:

Last edited:
The jury's still out on the tire placement. I've changed my mind 100 times and it might change again. Since those pics were taken, I picked up another set of rear wheels...

IMG_0604.jpg

Still can't believe you've been holding out on us:D..Cool project Doc..I would tuck the tires and stretch the rear fender openings..I think thats whats throwing the look off with the tires tucked, the opening is just to small..

Tim

This was worth the wait. :D

Awesome job so far, love the direction you’re headed.

I’m looking forward to seeing more this fall. [P[P

Still can't believe you've been holding out on us:D..Cool project Doc..I would tuck the tires and stretch the rear fender openings..I think thats whats throwing the look off with the tires tucked, the opening is just to small..

Tim

Looks like the fender opening center is about 3" higher than the tire center - throws it off. I'm not sure I like 'em sticking out - that look works better on flat fenders (Novas, etc.) not so good on bubble fenders. Maybe if the tire sides were flush with the fenders - thats what the cool kids are doing these days - Hella-flush!

Either way, it looks like the fenders need to be opened up some.

I think it looks better with the tires tucked under,mabe you could widen the fenders some. if you leave them stuck out ,then it calls for a strait axle front end gasser style. It is your car do what you want

BB 468 & a blower?

I love chevys esp those 30 model.chevys... Ur 38 looks great. So ur gonna stick that bb 468 in and I m guessing a blower on top? I like the big.slicks in the back. U can consider as suggested widing ur fenders or what about Zeeing the rear and lowering the profile? I guess if ur going for a gasser hybride stance ud leave it stock height or higher. Ultimately I supppse.its all in how u tend to drive itt

My thoughts are tuck the tires under the fender and drop the car down a few inches. But then it might start to look pro-street-'ish (if that's not what you're after). Personally I like the pro street look. My 2 pennies.

I think ya nailed it with the tires stikk'n out'n the fender wells. Oh just my humble opinion. Patiently await'n more build pics. Oh and the 468 w/blower is thumbs up also....

Last edited:
Thanks for your opinions and ideas everybody, I appreciate the input! [cl

Hitting the proportions and a "look" tend to keep me awake at night. (Am I alone in this club? Not likely.) All I know for sure, is I want to see as much of the tire as possible, tucked, untucked, or Hella-flush. :D

I have considered many possibilities and I writhe in my sleep about the car's direction. I do have a vision in mind and hope to get close to that vision.

So, I narrowed the rear frame section to accept different wheel offsets and widths. If my measurements are correct, I can swap wheel and tire combos, effectively making it "convertible" on a common third member. On a 54''- 56'' axle, I could screw those Weld wheels on it and have this result...

IMG_0472.jpg

On the same axle width, I could run my slots and have a look similar to this...

IMG_0513.jpg

If I run with the offset/backpace of the wheels I made, it will look like the pic I posted earlier...

IMG_0507-Copy.jpg

Decisions, decisions. In all honesty, I hope to resemble (this is your cue, Maverick) a decent facsimile of a gasser without the sky-high front end. I'm thinking a fatter, longer version of this..

angliaScan144.jpg

Last edited:
FWIW I like two and three, with my preference being two!!
The slots would look great, maybe just a tick lower though!!
Whatever you do I'm sure it will look good, just be sure and
keep us posted!![cl[cl[P[P

On the same axle width, I could run my slots and have a look similar to like this...

IMG_0513.jpg

I'm thinking a fatter, longer version of this..

angliaScan144.jpg

I think you've hit it right there! Open up the wheel wells in the fenders and keep the tires just inside the lip. Drop the front a tad and keep the tires inside the fenders like on the Anglia.
For sure run slots, front and back!

If this was the 70's there would be no debate, the tires would be hangin' out, 80's, tucked in.
I know it's a bunch of metal work, but I would think about raising the rear fenders about 3" up the side of the body and trim the openings larger so the tires don't look like a 10lb sausage in a 5lb skin - keep the tires barely inside the openings. I think raising the fenders would make the rear of the body appear lower and less massive, widening them would just make it look more chubby. Also it would get the rear lower.
I'd do a photoshop but am lacking the skill......

Latest posts

Back