1937 Chevy Coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can we get a couple pics of the shop. The lights at 4 feet up the wall are an interesting idea. What else is going on? Please?

The car, somehow, makes it into every shot and I don't have any good pics of the shop. :(

It's 30' deep x 26' wide - 12' ceiling, wired, insulated and heated. They extra height is to accommodate a (possible) future lift. It houses the common stuff a guy needs to build a car at home, tools, air compressor and a welder (or three, if I drag a couple of mine over there). Otherwise, its boring as any garage.

Sorry, the lights... I built a similar shop a few years previous and discussed the project with Btard. I have a lift and when I have a car pressed to the roof, it darkens the space considerably. I wired for a strip of lamps at the same height, but still haven't installed any. He did and lift or no lift, we use them every time we work on the car. They make a big difference, as they're so much closer to the actual work... that, and our eyes aren't getting any better. [;)

As a side note Doc, I heard a rumor that Mr. Bedford is moving back to your neck of the woods.

I've heard the same. He, Btard and myself are mutual good friends and it'll be nice to have him "home", if it happens. (I'm sure some of your community will think they've gone deaf... you know, without the constant voice. :eek: :D)

Torchie: I have a terrible sense of smell, so it takes a while for me to catch on. (Could be related to the lack of blood and oxygen reaching my brain.)

Great gif there, forbig. [cl

So obvious once I saw it. I just wonder why I never thought of putting lights low like that. [S I'll be getting some more LED units as soon as they show up cheap at Costco again. I think I will lower the ceiling lights to a better location also.

Thanks!

My pleasure, Skip. My shop needs some upgrading as well... seems it gets darker every time I step in there!

I am a month past having cataract surgery. It is amazing how much I couldn't see before. :eek:Things like the lines in the road at night when its raining. I can read street signs again. Much more light is getting in now. Still need reading glasses, but the rest of the world is clear without glasses for the first time in 30 years or so.

The lights in that shop are done here often when it's used for painting much. Any over head light on when fresh paint is flying is an invite for a fossilized bug in your paint job...:D

The lights in that shop are done here often when it's used for painting much. Any over head light on when fresh paint is flying is an invite for a fossilized bug in your paint job...:D
That's where I've seen that. Paint booth.

BTW, those places make me dizzy. :rolleyes:

Mom said I'd go blind. (I didn't know at the time, she meant eventually.)

Back to the re-coupe.

Nestled in its new home, Btard and Btard Jr. stripped the car of its interior, glass, doors, fenders and trunk lid... then lifted the shell from its chassis...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Bert 7.JPG
    Bert 7.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 131
  • Bert 5.JPG
    Bert 5.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 134
Body and chassis are both in good condition, though some "handiwork'' and "repairs" will require attention. (I'll get to those issues soon enough.)

The body has never been removed (near as I can tell) and the chassis is in really nice shape, despite its age and work performed by previous 'tards...

... not a great photo, but check the "welding" on the front cross member...

attachment.php

... thankfully, this (and other atrocities) are easily dealt with and we'll clean them up as we go.

Attachments

• Bert chassis 15 (2).JPG
    Bert chassis 15 (2).JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 162
Rear steer rack and pinion.
[P[P[P

The picture is deceiving, OI. (It's a typical front steer rack on an MII suspension.) The cross member you see hides the truth... it's the original radiator and front engine support, somewhat modified. [S

"Stick" welding at it's finest.:eek:[;)

You can probably relate to this statement, Bob... I use it often and I mean it, "I've done better work drunk". :eek: :D

Yeah, the welds are frightening and yes, they match the others perfectly! :eek:

endicott: If you're talking about the coils... we know the car sat for 15 years with next to no weight on them. We think they'll get "in line" when fully weighted, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

In the meantime, Btard filled all the firewall holes. These pics are out of order, but show the work all the same...

attachment.php

... 8.8 Exploder rear on the floor, upper right...

attachment.php

... notice the yellow arrow in the above pic... this is a snotty notch cut in the frame to mount a master cylinder, apparently cut with a sharp hatchet. We have decided not to use an underfloor MC and the notch will be properly repaired.

Attachments

• Bert firewall 2.jpg
    Bert firewall 2.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 144
  • Bert chassis 13.JPG
    Bert chassis 13.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 142

Latest posts

Back