Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Builds!

Builds! Post your project here... show us what you're up to! Please Note: This section is for "Builds" ONLY!

Old 05-21-2017, 11:52 PM
Builder Junky!

You haven't made my day Doc, but thank you anyway.
I am finishing a stalled project with a MII front axle too, ['34 Plymouth coupe]. Also, our similarities don't end here, no, no, no, both of our Previous owners are in the same club, the one where they should rips their thumbs off so they can't use wrenches.
I have not measured my hat angle yet but the ball joints look too straight up and down for my liking. I'll check tomorrow.
My crossmember is welded in very nicely, [my PO at least hired a real welder to do his frame work] and I hate to cut it out and weld it in myself, as I am not as smooth a welder as he was. I am a better engineer than both my PO and his welder.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:07 AM
Rocket Surgeon

Thanks for your comments, guys.

I only hope to save somebody the grief we have suffered.

Mac, you have a PM coming down the pipe...

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan

Photo Posting and Resizing
Old 05-22-2017, 10:19 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Lookin' good Doc.

It must be something in the air. I am talking to a guy about a 41 Ford Coupe. I really want a coupe. But they are usually gold plated! Need to sort out the "no-title" issue before I pull the trigger.
Not to hijack the thread but is it a long door or a short door coupe Skip?

And like smallfoot I don't fore see a MII font suspension in my future but I do like to learn new things so thanks for the tutorial as well good Dr.
Torchie
Old 05-22-2017, 06:46 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchie View Post
Not to hijack the thread but is it a long door or a short door coupe Skip?

And like smallfoot I don't fore see a MII font suspension in my future but I do like to learn new things so thanks for the tutorial as well good Dr.
Torchie
Its the one with the drip rail that slopes all the way back. I tried to download a pic from Google, but it is giving me fits. Too big. Of course the seller texted me pics, and I can not get them transferred to my computer.
No frame. Pretty much complete body sitting on a pallet. Extra hood and lt. door. $3500 OBO. Good price. But no title.

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/6065426364.html

Not taking anything too seriously.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:10 PM
Rocket Surgeon

Skip, I'll post the pics, if you can send them to another phone...

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan

Old 05-22-2017, 10:38 PM
Builder Junky!

Well Doc, your tutorial triggered my worrying, and rightly so. I was a little down in the mouth and wanted to shoot the messenger.
My MII front end hats are about I I/2* negative, but so is the crossmember. I forgot to look and see if the axle is all one piece or not though.
This is my first MII front end, and I've learned something already. The concept is a good one so I'll probably use another one someday.
Sorry about losing my flaming optimism, momentarily, Doc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1824.jpg (57.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1825.jpg (89.6 KB, 39 views)
Old 05-23-2017, 12:13 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Crankenstein View Post
Skip, I'll post the pics, if you can send them to another phone...

Does international texting cost extra? I think it does. I'll get off my @$$ and dig out my phone download cable. Pics soon.

Even if I don't get this one, I hope it goes to someone cool. The seller is having to give up the project due to health issues. We all know that story.

UPDATE: Trying to get seller to e-mail some pics. I believe he may be a bit tech challenged.

Last edited by Skip; 05-23-2017 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Update
Old 05-23-2017, 01:09 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

My apologies for hijacking the thread, Dr.

Pic of pic on phone. Not so good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P5170176.jpg (46.6 KB, 37 views)

Old 05-23-2017, 07:46 PM
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryMac View Post
Well Doc, your tutorial triggered my worrying, and rightly so. I was a little down in the mouth and wanted to shoot the messenger.
My MII front end hats are about I I/2* negative, but so is the crossmember. I forgot to look and see if the axle is all one piece or not though.
This is my first MII front end, and I've learned something already. The concept is a good one so I'll probably use another one someday.
Sorry about losing my flaming optimism, momentarily, Doc.
Hard to tell what I'm looking at here, Mac. What surface are you measuring in this shot? You want to measure the surface where the cross-shaft mounts. This is the critical measurement at ride height and you might be closer than you think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Does international texting cost extra?
You're closer to SK than FL. No idea if it costs you more. (I call or text anywhere in North America at the same rate, but I'm sure I pay for it, one way or the other.)

"Hijacking" is not a problem for me, within reason... coupe pictures and/or Mustang II discussions are most welcome!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1824 Mac MII - Copy.jpg (96.2 KB, 110 views)

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan

Last edited by Dr Crankenstein; 05-23-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:57 PM
Builder Junky!

Doc., my protractor is sitting on the only place it'll fit on top of the hat. That pivot shaft has slotted holes under it, to help align the top A-frame so the top ball-joint can be placed behind the lower ball-joint. I'm not above cutting those slots a wee bit bigger. The front-end alignment man will probably have a canary, though. Those book-learned alignment guys nowadays have a lot of canaries, when they see a hotrod coming in.
Thank you for the tutorial, it opened my eyes.

Oh Doc, In your reading did it say anything about running at negative 3* instead of positive 3* caster.
Torchie, it looks like a short door. I thought Ford started the long door coupes in '42, maybe someone here could tell us the truth about that.

Last edited by MercuryMac; 05-23-2017 at 11:00 PM. Reason: more stuff