Homemade whitewalls

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it wasnt wide enough, thought there would be more white under the black, looking almost for a full white wall look, maybe the next pair i find will have more white under the black..p-rat

Got my grinder out on some white lettered tires the other day, thats pretty cool, I didnt think they had the white wall underneath. Now to make me up a jig to hold the grinder and rotate the wheel!

The white doesn't go all the way out. Maybe a 1/2 or so past lettering. As for a jig, I just put mine on my front hub and used a belt sander for most of it and a sanding drum on my drill for the inside by the rim. Got it down to mostly white and then touched up as needed. Don't want to take too much off.

I havent personally done this but I heard someone else talk about putting their car in gear while on stands (obviously at a slow speed) and started grinding.... I dunno if I would try it, but you can.

www's

I experimented with an old tire and painted it with Krylon White. After about a year sitting out in the weather, it hasn't yellowed or cracked yet....... One car of paint would probably do 2 tires...

Attachments

• Pictures-04.jpg
    Pictures-04.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
I experimented with an old tire and painted it with Krylon White. After about a year sitting out in the weather, it hasn't yellowed or cracked yet....... One car of paint would probably do 2 tires...

Big difference between an old and new tire. Old tires are dried out and inert.
Newer tires are still giving off oil making the paint yellow.

I've found different tires are better than others. These Kelly Chargers have a nice big white layer.

PA41

Attachments

• frankensteinwelds 014.jpg
    frankensteinwelds 014.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 93
  • frankensteinwelds 013.jpg
    frankensteinwelds 013.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 153
Has anyone triend to make a set using Hoosiers? They have such a big H with their raised letters I wonder if its like that all the way around? They would be like 5 inch thick whitewalls. Plus they have cool looking tread on them.

Has anyone triend to make a set using Hoosiers? They have such a big H with their raised letters I wonder if its like that all the way around? They would be like 5 inch thick whitewalls. Plus they have cool looking tread on them.

If you can find a bad one, try it. I'd hate to find out I just trashed a good tire! My guess is they are all the way around. One of the things to look out for is where the white starts and stops - sometimes there is a slight gap or it gets a little wavy.

I'am working on a set of tires as I type this between coats, the tires were black wall and I still had them shaved 3" wide and now I'am painting the 3" area it's coming out so cool love the look.. It cost me $35.00 for 4 tires such a deal.. I'am switching over to stock rims and 3" white walls, they say I have to much BLING with my alum 16" 1 Ton dulley wheels, I'll post before and after when finished.. Great site RRR.. Pat[cl

Paint whitewalls with house paint.

This might sound ridiculous but I have painted whitewalls with latex house paint for years. THE TRICK IS TO SIT DOWN AND SCRUB THE SIDES with a citric based cleaner OVER AND OVER AND OVER. I counted scrubbing one tire side 19 times, one after the other after soaking with the cleaner for three or four minutes. Each time a little dirt and grease comes off. Lots of work, but works and stays on. I use Valspar paint from Lowes. Heck, you could paint them any color.

Make sure your wife uses a tiny art brush for the fine edges? Guys aren't too good at this.

I also use $3.95 rustoleum cans to paint the entire body for that hazy rat look. No need to get the $8.00 or $9.00 cans. Painted the entire ambulance in the driveway for $50.

Attachments

• Ambulance Left Front Toward Front.jpg
    Ambulance Left Front Toward Front.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 59
  • New ones 004.jpg
    New ones 004.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 67
  • New ones 005.jpg
    New ones 005.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 50
  • New ones 006.jpg
    New ones 006.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Ambulance paint update 1 003.jpg
    Ambulance paint update 1 003.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 77
What kind of paint....gloss or flat?I paint houses for a living I use valspar its some good paint I've been thinking about trying that myself......... I'm going for it ! let me know what you use, Thanks

Semi Gloss

I just happened to use semi-gloss as that is what I have on the outside of my RV and just grabbed it, but they look great.

THE GREAT NEWS IS THAT IF THEY AGE OVER A YEAR THEN JUST CLEAN THEM AND REPAINT THEM.

SCRUBBING IS THE KEY. GOOD IDEA TO SIT DOWN WITH A COUPLE OF BEERS AND A FAN (I WOULD DO IT WHEN IT IS HOT OUT) FOR EACH WHEEL

Obviously you have to find an edge and paint to it. I wouldn't freehand it.

Latest posts

Back