S10 REAR End

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowroder

Hi guys.... Im tring to find the right fit for my rod.
I had a ford explorer 8.8 rear but seemed to be way offset...
I have a crown vic 8.8 now seems better but a lil wider then id like .
I was looking into a S10 rear end . measures 58" so it will bring my wheels back in ,but is this rear end "CENTERED" ?

Anyone have tips or issuse [S

ok... well any pics of 4 bar set ups or radius rod type ? what would be better on a low riding chassis?

The 8" Maverick rear end in my '27 roadster is 1/2"-1" off center. Hard to measure the way it is stored.
The S-10 Blazer rear end in my '40 Plymouth truck is 1/2" off center.

well i know that 2wd an 4wd rears are diff.... i havent gotten one yet.
Tried 99 explorer way offset
Have crown vic rear under now not bad but a lil wider then i like
both have disc brakes which was cool

so i figured i try S10 , i know ill lose discs but i need a better fitting rear :confused:

I have a s-10 rearend on my 54 f100 It uses a 4 bar with coilovers. I run 2 inch spacers and 3 inch wider fenders to run 10 in wheels with 275/60 r 15's

Attachments

• 54 sound 4-BAR 014.jpg
    54 sound 4-BAR 014.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 54 sound 4-BAR 015.jpg
    54 sound 4-BAR 015.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 54 033.jpg
    54 033.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 87
I was told the other day that the 8.8 Mustang rear is real close to center. I have not had a chance to check it out.

I used an 8.8 out of an exploder I needed a narrow rear like an s10 but wanted the strength of the 8.8 with posi and 373 gears. I bought another short side axle and shorted the long side ended up being approx 56 not quite as wide as a 4X4 s10 but will make up for it on the wheel backspace.

You'll find most rear ends are off as much as 1 to 1.5 inches. That's because the engine and trans are pushed over that distance to allow for the steering shaft. You might want to keep this info in the back of your head when making engine or trans mounts.

I know this is an older thread but if you're still looking here's a Maverick 8" rear. The yoke is fairly centered and the rearend width is 56" WMS to WMS. Also, here's a list of rearend widths...............
Rearend widths

PB270053.jpg

you dont want your rear differential yoke straight in line with your transmission yoke. you need some parallel offset in order to keep the u-joints rotating. if not then they will wear pre-maturely and fail.

Latest posts

Back