1937 Packard 115 coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Major disappointment - I thought I was legit in adding on to my shed but not so... Turns out I have exceeded the max square footage for building on a slab (55 m2 or about 590 ft2).
Option 1. - Jack up the building, trim back the edge of the entire slab 6" and excavate 2' to form up and pour footings and foundation walls (interpretation - $$$$$$$!!!!:eek:)
Option 2. Cut off 6 1/2' from the addition to bring it to just under 55 m2

I picked option 2 (duh!) and have started the demo and reconstruction already.... it sucks badly but I'll still have a bigger work area than my garage, just another delay for the Packard since it's nearly time to go south, so it gets bumped again :(

That really sucks big time, one of the reasons I like living in the middle of no where, no one cares what we do.

I'm with Dozer, glad I live out in the country in a county that doesn't care if I build Trump tower in my yard! That is about stupid....6 1/2' too long...WTF does it matter as long as it's on YOUR property? It might be different if you were putting up some trashy structure in the front yard, but it appears this is behind your house. I hate nosy busybody neighbors! Luckily I'm surrounded by family on this 40 acre plot we all live on, I have 9 acres of it, and at least I can go out behind my house and pee without some nosy neighbor calling Johnny Law! OK, Rant off....

ZZ, you going to get it cut down and buttoned up before y'all go south for the winter?

Man, I just don't know about crap like this. We have similar bs regs around this state too. But if it's really regulated, don't you have to submit plans first before starting to build? If you do, why wasn't this little issue brought up in the planning stages? Wouldn't they consider some kind of variance because it wasn't caught first? Makes you want to toss rip-rap thru the building dept. windows...

Man, I just don't know about crap like this. We have similar bs regs around this state too. But if it's really regulated, don't you have to submit plans first before starting to build? If you do, why wasn't this little issue brought up in the planning stages? Wouldn't they consider some kind of variance because it wasn't caught first? Makes you want to toss rip-rap thru the building dept. windows...
Or the nosy neighbor's windows. [ddd

I just added a 9x12 "storage room" to my shop this summer. If I get busted, it will unbolt easily.

Sorry to hear about your tribulations ZZ.....my wife and I built a new place on the farm here a couple of years ago and ran head on into some ridiculous reg's as well......keep your head up and don't let it get you down if you can help it.

Major disappointment - I thought I was legit in adding on to my shed but not so... Turns out I have exceeded the max square footage for building on a slab (55 m2 or about 590 ft2).
Option 1. - Jack up the building, trim back the edge of the entire slab 6" and excavate 2' to form up and pour footings and foundation walls (interpretation - $$$$$$$!!!!:eek:)

I picked option 2 (duh!) and have started the demo and reconstruction already.... it sucks badly but I'll still have a bigger work area than my garage, just another delay for the Packard since it's nearly time to go south, so it gets bumped again :(

Sorry to hear that. I hope your smaller garage is still large enough to work in safely and comfortably!

As Woody Allen once said: " This is a travesty. A travesty of a mockery of a sham."

Don't these neighbors realize that there are hot rods to be built? Have they not heard the song - Smile on your brother, everybody get together and build hot rods right now.

I'm with Dozer, glad I live out in the country in a county that doesn't care if I build Trump tower in my yard! That is about stupid....6 1/2' too long...WTF does it matter as long as it's on YOUR property? It might be different if you were putting up some trashy structure in the front yard, but it appears this is behind your house. I hate nosy busybody neighbors! Luckily I'm surrounded by family on this 40 acre plot we all live on, I have 9 acres of it, and at least I can go out behind my house and pee without some nosy neighbor calling Johnny Law! OK, Rant off....

ZZ, you going to get it cut down and buttoned up before y'all go south for the winter?

Yeah, I think I'll get it downsized in time, leaving on the 29th for warmer weather.

Planning?? Permeets? We don't need no steenking permeets....
Seriously though, you forgot that I'm a moron...:eek:
The original shed has been there over 15 years so I've gotten used to doing what I want in my own yard and got too bold I guess...
The neighbor that ratted me out has the worst yard in the neighborhood with rotting derelict vermin infested buildings, dead cars and crap everywhere but see themselves as superior to newcomers like me who have only lived here 25 years.....:mad:

Sounds like you need to report him to the board of health. Course if you do he will probably vandalize you property while you are down south.

Sorry to hear about building problems.I have been dealing with problems too.My city does not want any cars in my yard,that does not have a tag and ins. Even in the back yard ,behind a fence and I own 6 acres at the end of a dirt road.

thats the way Ohio was ,when we were still home ... anything in your yard running or not had to have a tag ,, I was young then so I dont remember about ins. and we were off the road a good piece too. Theres just something wrong about that .. I guess thats just to keep people from piling up cars in there yard ... its not like that here in my area yet , Hope it never gets that way

thats the way Ohio was ,when we were still home ... anything in your yard running or not had to have a tag ,, I was young then so I dont remember about ins. and we were off the road a good piece too. Theres just something wrong about that .. I guess thats just to keep people from piling up cars in there yard ... its not like that here in my area yet , Hope it never gets that way

Not sure where you were, but southern Ohio has never been like that nor is it now. I wouldn't be here if it was. Haha.

Now 6 1/2' shorter, reduced to the legit size of 55 m2 - I'll find out when I get home in the spring if there are any other hoops to jump through

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0680.JPG
    IMG_0680.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 221
A pile o' Packard
attachment.php

Here it sits 'till the spring
attachment.php

Bolted the AOD tranny onto the 302,
put on a set of BBK equal length headers
attachment.php

The 302 Ford can be mounted pretty close to the firewall since the distributor is up front but I'm thinking the steering shaft will likely want to be in the same place as the header pipes.... I'm all out of time to get any work done now,
heading south tomorrow - not how I planned it but at least it is here and dry till I come back home April
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0682.JPG
    IMG_0682.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_0683.JPG
    IMG_0683.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_0684.JPG
    IMG_0684.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0685 (2).JPG
    IMG_0685 (2).JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 226
As a first time scratch builder, I am going to follow this build as I can learn a lot. Hope you don't charge too much for the education. Nice job so far.

Latest posts

Back