28 Fast Four build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking great.
So in a few yrs from now you will go through old project pics and think ; "Oh yea... those wheels were fixed too" .... you know you did the right thing :cool:

Looking great.
So in a few yrs from now you will go through old project pics and think ; "Oh yea... those wheels were fixed too" .... you know you did the right thing :cool:

[cl :D :cool:
I did the same thing on the front rims of my last truck build. but in that case it was to get the deep dish Caddy Sombrero wheel covers to fit flush on the rim.
Always more then one way to fix something.
[P [P [P
Torchie

DozerII,

How did you cut out the center section? Cutoff wheel or plasma cutter? Interested because I need to reverse some wheels.

Looks great.

Thanks,

Bob

Dozer, good work. Could you talk a little bit about your truing up lathe thing, so I can make one like yours? I have two sets of wheels to check out and true-up; a set of 17" wires and a set of 16" steelies.

Good job on the wheels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Had to increase the backspace on a set of 8" Corvette rallies .625" and our method was almost the same, the difference was I done mine vertical.

Thanks for all the support everyone

DozerII,

How did you cut out the center section? Cutoff wheel or plasma cutter? Interested because I need to reverse some wheels.

Looks great.

Thanks,

Bob

Thanks Bob, we used a die grinder with a thin cutting wheel, the second wheel went better than the first, make sure you cut in far enough past the weld so the center seperates cleanly.

Dozer, good work. Could you talk a little bit about your truing up lathe thing, so I can make one like yours? I have two sets of wheels to check out and true-up; a set of 17" wires and a set of 16" steelies.

Thanks MM I had a on ld boat trailer axle I cut one spindle off of, Leveled my steel steel support then leveled the hub and welded the stub to the Support.
We then used a dial indicator to check the wheels and fount they were way out. Once we had the centers released from the welds (they are still very tight) I cut a block of wood at the height I needed from the lower lip of the wheel to the top of the support, then using the block rotate the wheel and tap in the low and high spots till there is no runout this gave us less than 30 thou instead of the 82 the wheels came with.

The ones I did were 1941 Ford wheels so all riveted. Drilled and punched them out. But like you said. the centers were still tight.
[P [P [P
Torchie

Been under the weather most of the week with stomach problems so the ambition level was nowhere to be found. Started on the trans tunnel yesterday and got it all tacked in today.
Was watching some youtube videos on using the English Wheel, and putting a rubber sleeve on the top wheel allows it to only roll the sheet side to side, perfect for forming the tunnel pieces. I checked for a sleeve on line and from Eastwood it would have cost me a little over $30. Cdn by the time I got it. I went to the local tire shop with my tape measure and came home with a radial tire tube the right size and now I have a about 30 sleeves for $12. Cdn.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Resize of Trans tunnel 001.jpg
    Resize of Trans tunnel 001.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 77
  • Resize of Trans tunnel 002.jpg
    Resize of Trans tunnel 002.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Resize of Trans tunnel 003.jpg
    Resize of Trans tunnel 003.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Resize of Trans tunnel 004.jpg
    Resize of Trans tunnel 004.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Resize of Trans tunnel 006.jpg
    Resize of Trans tunnel 006.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Resize of Trans tunnel 008.jpg
    Resize of Trans tunnel 008.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Resize of Trans tunnel 009.jpg
    Resize of Trans tunnel 009.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Resize of Trans tunnel 011.jpg
    Resize of Trans tunnel 011.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 76
Great Job.[cl [cl :cool: :cool:
I'm going to have to get one of those English wheels some time.:D
But then I'd want a Bead roller. A shrinker stretcher and a ........
[P [P [P
Torchie

Latest posts

Back