1946 gmc

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I got it to pull fuel out of the tank last night. I'm incredibly happy it finally runs on its own, despite having to take in a couple monthfuls of gas to accomplish that. It sounds awesome, just enough lump to the idle to know it's cammed up, even without exhaust.

Getting the gauges and everything finished up so I can actually run it for longer. Still having a slight charging/starting issue, but I should have that figured out soon.

Right on, right on 05. I liked the part where you learned how to re-patina your back fender after a patch job. I've been learning tricks in that area for a long time too.
On another note, you won't be needing your Dad's old '33 Dodge now so I'll take it to the dump for you. O.K.
Keep on tinkering.

Right on, right on 05. I liked the part where you learned how to re-patina your back fender after a patch job. I've been learning tricks in that area for a long time too.
On another note, you won't be needing your Dad's old '33 Dodge now so I'll take it to the dump for you. O.K.
Keep on tinkering.

He regularly gets offers to buy it, he quickly tells them that there is no way I'll be letting that car go... :D

Well I got my freshly modified center caps from Wheelsmith last night. I'll hold you in suspense until I can get a decent picture tonight. They look awesome on the wheels, and fit my *gasp* Wheel Vintiques wheels perfectly (The vendor I got the wheels from told me not to mention that they were Wheel Vintiques wheels, or they may not modify them for me). I ordered a special remover tool that I found on ebay so that I can remove the caps without scratching or damaging the wheels. That should be here this week, and will be necessary as the caps fit very tight. I thought The Wheelsmith would do a little better job on the modification, and there is some overspray on the front of the caps of the silver they sprayed on the back, but I'm very particular, and overall they're pretty good.

I should have updated this much sooner. I had the last week off and busted a$$ to get as much done as possible. The interior is all done, complete with carpet (I guess it's not that ratty anymore), headliner, stereo, etc.

Wiring is all done, and I got the exhaust done. I went with Flowmaster Series 40 Delta flow mufflers and am very impressed with the way the big block sounds.

On Saturday I started it up and ran it for a while, it ran good, the thermostat opened, and all was good. Then the water pump sprung a leak, so I ordered a new one and it came in yesterday.

So for the rest of the weekend I busted ass and it's nearly done. Just a few other finishing touches to take care of, but I should be able to drive it this weekend. Monday night I started it up and the water pump wasn't leaking, so I took it for a 4 mile drive and it handles and drives awesome. Lots of power. But then I was at a neighbors with it and it wouldn't start, it turned out the starter was acting up. So I am getting a starter for it too, and should be good to go again...

Other than that I have a few bugs to work out already. The carb I have was jetted by the previous owner and is way too lean so I got new jets, the back tires were rubbing so I need to bring the back end up slightly, and a few other odds and ends. I've got some pictures but won't be able to post for a few days. It's registered and insured though, and I'm very happy to have been able to drive it.

We are really lacking on progress pics.........

I prefer not to post too many progress pics. I would rather be it a surprise when it's done. That and I often forget to take pics at the various stages. The unveiling of the finished product will happen early next week, when I have time to upload pics.

Here are some crappy cell phone pictures. Since these photos I've raised the back end and inch to combat some rubbing and also it makes the stance a lot more mean. I had it out on the highway a couple times on the weekend. I'm working out a few bugs but it's getting there and runs and handles awesome.

I got creative with the surge bottle and tubing. I still need to polish the copper.

Attachments

• IMG_20130902_165208_747 - Resized 2.jpg
    IMG_20130902_165208_747 - Resized 2.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20130908_204341_176 - Resized.jpg
    IMG_20130908_204341_176 - Resized.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20130908_204136_810 - Resized.jpg
    IMG_20130908_204136_810 - Resized.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20130902_165531_145 - Resized.jpg
    IMG_20130902_165531_145 - Resized.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20130902_164456_755 - Resized.jpg
    IMG_20130902_164456_755 - Resized.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 95
That looks like everything came together nicely, and I agree, having the rear up a bit probably helped the look quite a bit, nice meaty rear tires on it too!

Looks Awesome!!!! Probably will look better taller in the back.......

That looks like everything came together nicely, and I agree, having the rear up a bit probably helped the look quite a bit, nice meaty rear tires on it too!

Thanks guys. It changes the stance quite a bit. The front tires brought the front up just enough to change the stance.

Every time I drive it I come back with a list of things that need to be addressed. Right now the rear tires need to be re-balanced, the right rear brake is dragging, and a few other items here and there. Just some teething issues. I just can't get enough of that big block torque though!

Well, I guess I'm still in "build" mode and in need of assistance. On Friday I broke a valve spring and rocker arm retainer on #1 cylinder on the 455. I'm having a heck of a time finding Buick parts here in Canada, does anyone have an idea of someone who has or can get stock replacement valve train parts for a Buick 455 up here? If not, I can always get them sent up from TA Performance, but I would rather get them locally.

Here are some updated photos of the truck, with the new ride height, and during my trip to Radium. There's also a "before and after", and a pic of the stake sides I'm now building out of barn wood.

I got a set of rebuilt heads that need to go on it, turns out I bent a valve, and my manifold bolts were seized in the old heads, so it made more sense to get a different set. I also still need to hook up my cruise, and there are a bunch of little details I need to change here and there. I'll try to keep it updated as I go.

Attachments

• collage_0~01.jpg
    collage_0~01.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20131025_213308_208.jpg
    IMG_20131025_213308_208.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3163.jpg
    IMG_3163.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3164.jpg
    IMG_3164.jpg