1946 gmc

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few more photos of how it looks now. Still tweaking details here and there. It's still a 'build' technically...

Drool away folks.

Attachments

• IMG_20130923_020052.jpg
    IMG_20130923_020052.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20130923_043327.jpg
    IMG_20130923_043327.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20130923_074436.jpg
    IMG_20130923_074436.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_3174.jpg
    IMG_3174.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 108
A few more photos of how it looks now. Still tweaking details here and there. It's still a 'build' technically...

Drool away folks.

Looks awesome man. Do you have any pictures of how you mounted the core support to the frame? That took forever on my project, and it is sitting right on top of the steering box so there's very little clearance for steering lines.

Looks awesome man. Do you have any pictures of how you mounted the core support to the frame? That took forever on my project, and it is sitting right on top of the steering box so there's very little clearance for steering lines.

I don't have photos of how my rad support is mounted to the frame, because it isn't, in a way. We cut off the bottom of the rad support when mounting the body to the frame. We made mounts that connect the rad support on each side directly to the frame, so it is mounted to the frame but the bottom of the original support is gone. So the rad support has no bottom. The rad support being held in place on each side is what holds the entire front end straight. Then I mounted my rad on the front side of the rad support, and tipped the bottom of it forward out just in front of the steering box. That's how I was able to fit such a large rad. I was looking at the same size of rad you used, but I wanted to make sure I had no potential for cooling issues. I know guys using the same size of rad you are and have issues from time to time. I sure don't.

That's what I meant about getting creative, it took a lot of head scratching, measurements, and thinking to come up with my mounting solution for the rad. I also had to modify my filler pan in front of the rad support. I'll try to get some pics and post them up.

My inner fender is cut out a bit and the power steering lines actually route out that way, but it's all behind the rad because the radiator is in front of the steering box.

Last edited:
Well it's almost driving time again! I have a bunch of stuff to get done before it's ready for spring cruising, so as soon as this cold snap breaks I'll be getting on it.

My list looks like this (in no particular order):

-Install rebuilt heads and fix exhaust leak in the process. I ended up with 2 sets of heads, one high compression not rebuilt, and one the same as what is on now fully rebuilt. I'm going to put the rebuilt heads on as I don't really need more power, and the peace of mind knowing they're rebuilt since I already had the valve/guide/spring issue.
-Install colder thermostat
-Install cruise control
-Install door handle springs, and dovetail rubbers for better door handle return/door closing
-Fix some of the door weatherstripping/window felt seal
-Get more striping done
-Clean, and try out Rat Wax. If that doesn't work I might try the linseed oil.
-Build stake sides out of barn wood. Pic is below. I'm still playing with the length of the top board and think it will be a bit longer than current. I've also got a few ideas up my sleeve for this. I think it will suit the truck very well when done.

Hopefully I can get all that done before the spring finally arrives so that I can put lots more miles on this year!

Cool truck. Wish i could see some of the pics at the beginning of the thread but they seem to be missing from the photobucket link.

-Chris

Truck has a awesome look, I just built a set of headers for a ls2/TCI chassis swapped 54 chevy, very similar stance, I didn't want to give it back to the customer! Haha

Truck has a awesome look, I just built a set of headers for a ls2/TCI chassis swapped 54 chevy, very similar stance, I didn't want to give it back to the customer! Haha

Thanks!

I only got to drive it for about 3 weeks last fall before I broke the valve spring, so I am itching to put lots of road behind it this year. It's by far the most fun vehicle I've ever owned!

My truck made it in Canadian Hot Rods this month, from a show in Radium Hot Springs, BC last September. Unfortunately the guy got the make wrong [S, but I'm still stoked it's in there!

46GMCCanadianHotRods_zpsf5261ab1.jpg

Very cool, yeah I was thinking that 'Binder looks an lot like a GMC...:confused:
It looks like the weather sucked a little, had the same problem a week earlier in Nelson B.C. :(
Going to Radium again this year, maybe the sun gods will be a little kinder..

Very nice snopro. [cl [cl [cl

Very cool man, congrats!

-Chris

Thanks guys!

Very cool, yeah I was thinking that 'Binder looks an lot like a GMC...:confused:
It looks like the weather sucked a little, had the same problem a week earlier in Nelson B.C. :(
Going to Radium again this year, maybe the sun gods will be a little kinder..

Yeah, Terry's much more familiar with muscle cars than the older stuff. I find it especially funny since he featured a 46 GMC in there a while back. The weather was windy and rainy for some of the show. You know what happens, 5 raindrops fall and everyone scatters.

Let's hope it's better this year! I'm glad to hear you'll be there again. Hope to catch up with you at the show!

Well I got the stakes sides finished but not the front panel, knocked off most of my to-do/bug list, and got it running this past weekend. Put about 60 km on it yesterday and it runs awesome.

Pictures to come...

Latest posts

Back