Jordy - Your average 37 Tudor Sedan 4x4 build - Revision II

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gasp! I think I am going to be ill. I love those '37 hump-back tudors, and cringe at the thought of doing what you are doing. Wish I never sold my "38.

Worse yet, I like it! TOTALLY AWESOME! [cl

Cool build.

Will the tires stuff into the fenders when at the bump stops or will you need to trim them a bit?

I've got lots of Jeep parts. You need anything let me know. Wifey doesn't like my "collection" of parts.

I'm not sure if I will need more trimming or not.
With the stock ZJ shocks, I mounted them with 4" of up travel, and 4" of down travel.
Once it's done, I will flex it with the fork lift and see if where I need to set the bump stops and possibly trim more if needed.

Any pics of the chassis?

8" of travel seamed like a lot for a stock shock. The stock ones that came on my Cherokee didn't even have 3" of drop in them.

Looks good.

Any pics of the chassis?

8" of travel seamed like a lot for a stock shock. The stock ones that came on my Cherokee didn't even have 3" of drop in them.

Looks good.

Thanks. I'll have to take a few this weekend.

I measured shocks fully extended, and fully compressed, the difference of course being the travel..

The fronts are mounted, so I can't give you exact measurements of those, but they had 8" of travel.

The rears are not mounted yet and measure 24" eye to eye extended, and 16" eye to eye compressed, so they too have 8" of travel.

Can't vouch for stock shock travel on your XJ shocks since these were out of a ZJ

Though I have built myself a few XJs (3XJs 2ZJs, 1CJ, 1YJ, 2WJs, 1JK) in the past :D

Here are the XJs

Was a $800 stock XJ when I got it)

xjhoodscoop.jpg

9" and 36s

NF.jpg

4.5" and 35s

J5.jpg

To get back on track..

This week I tore down the engine, replacing head gaskets, water pump, distributor, plugs, wires, etc..

I also got all the fuel pump, fuel lines, etc, and all the battery cables, battery tray, etc.

Hoping to get it all installed this weekend and possibly hear it run for the first time since the day it came out of the ZJ!!

Nice rigs man. I've considered doing something like your red one on mine since the top on mine is already jacked. I'd probably completely remove the top on mine tho. Just have to tie it all together with the cage first before hacking it apart.

Is there a build thread for your red one anywhere?

Ok, got to play a little bit this weekend.

Let me address the headlight mounting first.. When I was trying on the fenders to see if I liked them, there was already a hole in both fenders.
I hung the headlights from these holes, and it looked half way decent (My plan is to make filler pieces under the headlights to bring them out to the fenders,
and possibly mount the turn signals there.. we shall see..)

For now I was thinking of ways to hide the mounts.. and this is what I came up with... Copper tube to loop it around back into the fender

​​
Copper_zpshxifc7dn.jpg

Then I ripped the fenders back off, and tore the engine down

Open_zps6iquyir3.jpg

replaced the head gaskets, water pump, mounted the new carbed intake, carb, new distributor (had to because swapped from EFI to Carb)
power steering hoses, etc..

Eng_zpsji78hmbp.jpg

I also mounted an old Harley key in the dash, and a small overhead console with a push button start, and 2 switches I'll use for the fuel pump and electric fan.
Started figuring out the steering shaft.

Overhead_zpselcnqcgq.jpg

Used some motorcycle chain as tank hold downs (need to remove and protect tank with some rubber strips or something.)

Tank_zpsksikzsk9.jpg

Got the battery tray mounted, whipping up some battery cables tomorrow.. (left pass side manifold off until I connect cable to starter)

Then I think I need to run the fuel lines and it should be about ready to fire up.

Small update.

This past weekend I was finally able to score a drivers side rear fender and windshield frame for this thing.
I also picked up a radiator and twin electric fans from the good old pick n pull.

Over the last 2 weeks I have just been sneaking out to the garage about an hour a day.

I was able to get the engine buttoned up, put the plug wires on, the manifolds.
Had to drill, tap, and plug the heater port on the water pump.

I did manage to finish the battery cable and start running the fuel lines.

Also finally got the transmission crossmember mounts welded in place.

today I ordered all new door hinges, bear claw latches, etc. Hoping to have working doors soon!!

New rear fender mounted, and the tail lights mounted.

Taillight_zps2sn0dscr.jpg

This morning before work I started making some fillers to take up the gap around the headlights

Bucket_zps8yeydz5w.jpg

I would use a piece of tire tube under it, just to be safe.
I was only concerned the chain sides would cut through the inner tube.
If you want to use rubber, use some with reinforcement in it so the chain doesn't cut through the material.
Another thought, use the inner tube then put some stainless or something between the tube and chain on the corners :)

I was only concerned the chain sides would cut through the inner tube.
If you want to use rubber, use some with reinforcement in it so the chain doesn't cut through the material.
Another thought, use the inner tube then put some stainless or something between the tube and chain on the corners :)

Good thought.

Or maybe instead of rubber, some fiber belt?

Blue, I think this needs some flame throwers or something, for that real apocalyptic feel [ddd

I'm excited to see how it turns out!

what about a piece of rubber with a piece of steel over it for the corners - that way the rubber will be able to protect the tank and the corner steel will be able to protect the rubber (and the rubber won't show)

Thanks for the ideas guys..

Ok, didn't get anything done yesterday since it was so damn cold. But Friday AM before work I started on making my own air cleaner.. Figured I could make something that fit the car a bit better than the chrome one..

Not anywhere near done, but you get the feel for it here

AirCleanerTemp1_zpsg3dqwrnu.jpg

AirCleanerTemp2_zps0go3c6ux.jpg

I also got the hole for the rear mounted radiator cut.. the black perforated steel is not cutting it, I need to pick up some rusty expanded steel to put in the hole.

Cooling%20Hole_zps6ze5dwnz.jpg

also the best news, I was able to start the car for the first time today!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XeWGg-PWrQ&feature=youtu.be

Latest posts

Back