1955 F600, heavy duty build.......with a bus.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m not much of a book reader. Projects like this are my books.
Do a step or two and a new page has turned and you have to learn what’s next. Never really know what’s coming, and if you think you know, you get surprised. :)

I’m not much of a book reader. Projects like this are my books.
Do a step or two and a new page has turned and you have to learn what’s next. Never really know what’s coming, and if you think you know, you get surprised. :)
As a retired book writer, my feelings are hurt. :p Not really. Simple fact is that nobody reads the book if they can figure it out on their own. I like the way you are going with this. Being flexible will get you a good outcome in the end.

I hate cutting up something that is in really good shape, too.

Thanks guys!
I learned on the last build, you MUST remain flexible.
I feel like that’s why so many projects loose interest and abandons. Folks get dead set on something in particular that isn’t feasible, so it sits. And eventually completely stops.

I'm glad you're thinking abut using the Ford firewall...I believe it will help make the end result cleaner and, in the end, be less work. [cl[cl

I get it JM. Demo'd a 30 ft travel trailer few months back. Did not score domestic points with the in-progress visual assault on the senses. :D

Welcome back JML. Way interesting stuff you have going on. [P

Thanks earthman!
It’s been awhile :)
And I couldn’t start another thread with just some typical ho hum stuff 🤣

I’m still up in the air weather or not to stretch the chassis and bed a couple feet or not. It’s 14’ now which is a good number. But 16’ would be even better. At the same time, I don’t want to have to cut the flatbed up and add to it as well as re-do all the decking. I believe all the decking is 5/4 board so it ain’t cheap.
But MAN 16’ sounds better.

I get it JM. Demo'd a 30 ft travel trailer few months back. Did not score domestic points with the in-progress visual assault on the senses. :D

I’m not sure how I managed it, but the wife seemed apathetic to the whole deal.
I thought when I told her I was bringing 3 busses home she’d be vocally against it, but all she said was happy spouse happy house [cl
I’ve gotten lucky in the past before, but never thought it would be in THIS form 😁

Thanks earthman!
It’s been awhile :)
And I couldn’t start another thread with just some typical ho hum stuff 🤣

I’m still up in the air weather or not to stretch the chassis and bed a couple feet or not. It’s 14’ now which is a good number. But 16’ would be even better. At the same time, I don’t want to have to cut the flatbed up and add to it as well as re-do all the decking. I believe all the decking is 5/4 board so it ain’t cheap.
But MAN 16’ sounds better.
Another suggestion to add to the "list." :D A two foot extension on the back end of the bed would be child's play for you. It could be all steel decked, so no worry about the existing wood. Wouldn't even look out of place.

Another suggestion to add to the "list." :D A two foot extension on the back end of the bed would be child's play for you. It could be all steel decked, so no worry about the existing wood. Wouldn't even look out of place.

I hadn’t thought about steel decked. That’s actually a great idea!
I did some cuttin and pastin in ms paint (I’m no photoshop guy) and came up with some before and after renderings.
I think I like the after longer version.
Question is........do I add 1’ to the wheelbase and add 1 foot to the front and 1 foot to the back of the bed?

Or add 2’ just to the back, or just 2 foot to the front?

Hoist location plays a factor in this I suppose.
The bed is centered over the axle now and the bed drops to 16” off the ground as it is. And I believe the hoist is in the center of the bed now which balances the weight of the load.
If I add 2 feet in the front, that adds weight the hoist needs to carry.

Geeeeeze sooooo many options.

Attachments

• D70A8176-A84D-497B-B200-E586DB26BB74.jpg
    D70A8176-A84D-497B-B200-E586DB26BB74.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 14
  • E766D190-75FA-43B0-A23B-687E0256640C.jpg
    E766D190-75FA-43B0-A23B-687E0256640C.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 9
  • 9E6367E3-78D9-4064-8D22-1F35DBABFE87.jpg
    9E6367E3-78D9-4064-8D22-1F35DBABFE87.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 10
I hadn’t thought about steel decked. That’s actually a great idea!
I did some cuttin and pastin in ms paint (I’m no photoshop guy) and came up with some before and after renderings.
I think I like the after longer version.
Question is........do I add 1’ to the wheelbase and add 1 foot to the front and 1 foot to the back of the bed?

Or add 2’ just to the back, or just 2 foot to the front?

Hoist location plays a factor in this I suppose.
The bed is centered over the axle now and the bed drops to 16” off the ground as it is. And I believe the hoist is in the center of the bed now which balances the weight of the load.
If I add 2 feet in the front, that adds weight the hoist needs to carry.

Geeeeeze sooooo many options.
Wheels are turning, and tires are skidding sideways. My work here is done. [ddd :D

Latest posts

Back