Bamamav's 1947 Lincoln Club Coupe build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations on the carport, Bama. [cl :D :cool:
I hear you on the funding issues. Every time I think I have a couple of bucks to put towards my project........:eek:
Keep on keeping on.
[P [P [P
Torchie

Been knocking a way on it a little at a time, just not enough progress to report, so here's a few weeks work combined. Got my fuel system buttoned up, went with the braided line instead of hard line like I was planning before. Think it looks better this way anyway, was a lot less work to install. Got my heater hoses sorted out, just not installed, couldn't find any 5/16" washers around here today to mount the heater box, so maybe next time I can get that done and the hoses hooked up. Ran a few wires, took my grilles out so I can paint them. Took out the old cracked glass fog lamps, fitted plastic sealed bulbs in there for turn signals, sorry, forgot to take a pic of those.

Looks like a new coil, battery, fan belt, and transmission fluid are about all I like before firing it up. Trying to get it going before the second week of Sept, a buddy has a new car show here in town and I want to try to make it, even without the hood and grilles if I have to. Enjoy the pics.
DSCF1283 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr
DSCF1284 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr
DSCF1285 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr
DSCF1288 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr

Did lots of little things today, but nothing really picture worthy. Got the coil mounted and wired, heater installed and hoses and valve hooked up. Filled up the radiator, so far, no leaks! Welded a bracket on the steering column for the brake light switch and installed it. Like I said. little stuff that had to be done. Next week going to try and get a new battery, belt, and transmission fluid, and just maybe get this old girl fired up. About time, last time it was driven was May 2016.......never thought it'd take me this long to do an engine swap.

The beast lives!!!!!!!!

The beast LIVES!!!!!!! Finally got it fired up this afternoon!!!! Sounds great!!!!

Ended up going with one of the eBay Chinese small cap HEI distributors, never could get the points to fire evenly. Oddly enough, the old style firing order worked. Apparently unless it was a HO 5.0, even if it had a roller cam it takes the old firing order.

Now I got to trace a fuel starvation problem, it runs until it empties the bowl, either the pump can't keep up or the new filter is too much to push through. Got a couple of water leaks, too, think maybe my heater core wasn't good like I thought it was.

Didn't get a chance to try the transmission yet, still need to keep it running long enough to put a light on the timing. Too late for my buddy's show tomorrow though, guess I'll just go ahead and take the F'Bird.

Last edited:
Went back after supper and played some more.:D Can't keep it running, took filter out, same thing. Won't idle for crap, runs pretty good at 1/2 throttle. [S Plugged a vacuum fitting that I had missed, no effect. Will be running then just shuts off like it's out of fuel. Going to take the top off the carb when I can and see if maybe there's a piece of trash plugging the jet partially. It's a new Summit carb, but there is still the possibility something got in there.

Power steering is working, but sticky coming off of dead center. I'm hoping the old wheel on the newer column is rubbing causing that. Dropped the trans in reverse at about 2500 rpm, no surprise, it didn't move, will have to wait and get it to idle before I can test it.

Maybe I can get to it in a week or two. Was thrashing to try to have it ready for tomorrow, but that's not the first deadline I've missed.:( I'll be happy just to get it back on the road, whenever that is.....

Electric pump? Try a free flow test?

Pump is pumping, but I didn't free flow it. I have used it all summer draining the tank of old gas that I used in the mower, but that doesn't mean it hasn't got a problem. Last time I looked, there was still gas in the window on the carb, so that leads me to think a piece of trash in it?

Might play with it this afternoon if temps aren't too bad and I feel like it. Headed out a whopping two miles for the brothers Dale and Dwight car show in just a few minutes.....

I had a weber 2bbl on an old BMW that had an air leak at the base, ran about like you are describing. a little blue shmutz on the base gasket fixed it, then I drove it to a local show and the primary stopped primarying, only had secondary which was fun trying to navigate while at almost full throttle. there was a mosquito wing in the jet!

I had a weber 2bbl on an old BMW that had an air leak at the base, ran about like you are describing. a little blue shmutz on the base gasket fixed it, then I drove it to a local show and the primary stopped primarying, only had secondary which was fun trying to navigate while at almost full throttle. there was a mosquito wing in the jet!
:eek::eek: Would have been time for new shorts.

Latest posts

Back