'29 rat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solidnoise

413416_607304989286_610125519_o.jpg

459180_607304949366_1365610485_o.jpg

464003_607304929406_1020694339_o.jpg

474159_607304909446_596908466_o.jpg

where to begin...,
1929 plymouth. original from the Truely Nolen exterminator company. their cars are somewhat rare to see outside the truely nolen's ownership, tho i have seen a couple scattered here and there.

originally, it sat on a 2 inch chunk of wood for the flooring, removed that and went with a sheet of steel. with those two inches gone, we also channeled it 6 more inches for a total of around 8 inches or so. i like the height of the windows to body ratio so i decided not to do any body chopping.

hardly see channeled 'rods with full fenders and running boards. seeing how i had all that and in decent shape, i wanted to use it. so i feel its a rare build with the channeling and full fendered.

the 2.8l 6 cyl. engine, the shortened driveshaft, the rear end, all come from an 88 chev s10. originally the plan was to move the plymouth to the s10 rolling chassis, but turns out the s10 was more damaged by weathering and rot than the '29 frame so we transfered the s10 parts over to the plymouth.

front end, decided to go a little different here. not the typical independent front suspension, nor the original (slightly bent, twisted '29 straight axle) used the front end out of a 72 vw type 3 squareback i had stashed in the woods from a few years back, cut that out, transplanted it onto the frame rails of the 29.

made for a unique front look of the 29 :)

radiator from a jeep wrangler, that grill insert was made from cutting up a '55 chevy grill, turning the two halves upright, in the 29 radiator shell, and used pieces from a cooking grill to finish filling in towards the bottom. used part of one of the racks.

steering wheel from a 71 vw squareback, custom made linkages and shafts going into rack and pinion from a 90s mitsubishi or nissan, or something... whatever, it works. lol.

original 29 shifter going into a late 80s nissan pickup shifting unit.

rear seat is the s10 truck bench seat flipped upside down, for back window height, and a little more extension for some butt room. lol, odd idea, but hey, it works and fits better that way.

front seats are newer van buckets my dad and i had sitting around since i was younger. found em on the side of the road one day and decided why not grab em. so many odd years later and they come in handy.

roof out of a 90s dodge/plymouth minivan. didnt have any roof originally so i knew i needed one. sure enough, i had the opportunity to scrap my gf's moms van for her so i sectioned out the roof. it gives you those body lines on top that run the length of the car anyhow, so it looks pretty decent.

mounted my stereo under my drivers seat, surround sound system, i like my engines loud and my music louder :p
cherry bomb glasspack with side exhaust exiting the infront of the passenger side rear wheel.

um... thinking of anything else but drawing a blank at this time. need to go grab one cup of coffee and a cigarette. :) (classic rockabilly lyrics)

overall, its been coming together slowly, but overall, i'm fairly satisfied.

oh, shocks... front shocks come from a harley motorcycle with custom fabricated shock mounts, the rear are air shocks i pulled of a late 80s dodge pick up.

anything else and i'll come update. these are just the newest pics, but i do have the whole build documented.

and also have this floatin around online as well:

only have these two vids so far, but will have more when she's on the road this year.

part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrpW-5j3Gkw

part2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzC3KuPE_bg

Latest posts

Back