Bike project to rat rod swap...Thoughts?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfg455

The Hot Rod Cop
So I have a sportster / Buell hard tail chopper project that I've been tinkering with for the last couple of years. I have a total of $1100 into it and a bunch of fab time here and there. 90% complete ready for paint, plumbing and wiring. I have it listed for $4K obo / swap. http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/4725673373.html

Guy in the next town has a 33 Ford pu cab on a T frame with a 327 sbc / 4 speed that is all running. In my eyes the T frame and front axle are poorly put together. Has a 10 bolt chevy rear, T style radiator etc. He also has a 47 or 48 Ford COE cab and nose sitting on what looks like an S10 or Dakota chassis. Both cabs look fairly solid. If it is just the 33 rat then I say no but I'm working him to get the COE project thrown in as well. I know what the SBC 4 speed stuff is worth but not so much the 33 or COE cab. THoughts? I'll try to sneak over for some pics tomorrow[P

33 is one that everybody wants. The grill is almost the same as a 32 car. The T frame though is too small and spindly for much power so I agree, it's probably scrap. The cabover sounds interesting, but I doubt the track is wide enough if it's S 10. For me, I'd have to have both or no deal.

Both or no deal!! the T frame under that cab is useless and the s-10 chassis you could sell (it's to small for a COE) if both cabs are in good shape and the 327 and 4-speed are good I would make the deal.

Both or no deal!! the T frame under that cab is useless and the s-10 chassis you could sell (it's to small for a COE) if both cabs are in good shape and the 327 and 4-speed are good I would make the deal.

... and put the Ford on the S-10/Dakota frame, sell the T frame, and save the COE for the next 90%er, I mean project. [dr

Hmmm, the true value of the whole deal would be your thoughts on the matter. Would you rather be building a motorcycle or a truck? The 33 is a nice truck to have and lots of people are getting into COEs but you already know by your statements, they will all be a project. I'd go for the trucks and I'm a Harley fan...go figure!

Ya I'm just stalled on the bike and being that I swapped for almost all of the parts there I'm only in it about $1100. In this market up here it is truly only about a $2500 bike. Both of us have our related projects over priced in the CL swap section so to me I look at it as this: A: is it worth the cash value I have in the bike that I'm swapping if I have to bail out. B: can I piece out the stuff and make a profit. C: Can I combine bits and parts of all I have to knock together something fun to build / drive / sell IE: my 29 Essex, 54 chevy, this 33 PU and the COE.

Side note: He said no yesterday to both projects for the bike. He just messaged me a hour ago and said yes, come take a look, he will be willing to do both for the bike. :cool:

I will of course take pics and let the brethren on the RRR have a look see!

Is the bike ride-able? What is the 10% that's left to finish? It's hard to judge without pictures but I'd say a nice 33 cab, a 327 and a 4 speed would be a decent trade. Sportsters are a lot easier to find than 33 Fords

Is the bike ride-able? What is the 10% that's left to finish? It's hard to judge without pictures but I'd say a nice 33 cab, a 327 and a 4 speed would be a decent trade. Sportsters are a lot easier to find than 33 Fords

Bike is not rideable. Still needs paint and plumbing. And wiring, seat covered etc.

Ok, here goes, I went and looked at both projects. Both cabs are rough. The 33 has a home built floor and the doors have been butchered. someone cut a 4" wide piece right out of the center of both outer skins...[S

The COE is a bit more solid. The bottoms of the doors are rusty, the fenders have a bunch of patches and the rear panel was cut out and badly welded back in.

The "327" is a 283 with center bolt heads. It has a borg warner 4 speed in it. I have no idea what the rear end is in the 33. Toyota? old Datsun??

The COE is sitting on a mid 80" 1 ton chassis with dually front suspension. It has a 12 bolt under the back and the frame is very solid. Some big meats out back. It has a 350 truck motor in it with an SM465 2wd standard trans in it. comes with a th350 as well.

Neither is running. The 33 has a chrysler master cylinder in it. It has a model T chassis but looks like a model A axle and bones (split) but with no front brakes. it does have a radiator, banged up grille shell and the remenats of a wiring harness. Both have a steering column with them. It will be 2 posts for the pics.

the coe cab looks like a 47 diamond t. the front axle on the 33 does look like model A. you can get a disc brake for it from speedway. the rear end under it doesn' look nissan and if it is toyota it is old. The frame on the 33 looks realy spindly, If it's not thick wall tubing I'd be carefull of useing it. It looks like they will need a lt of work. good luck.

Looks like a random collection of parts. The frame on the 33 isn't roadworthy, even if it's boxed. I guess you'll have to decide if it's fair. Unfinished sportsters aren't worth much either. I've seen them beg to get $2500 for nice ones on auctions.

Latest posts

Back