Why Did You Choose To Run/Drive/Build A Ford/Chevy/Dodge Etc...........

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats esay my grandpa bought a brand new chevy back in the 80's and had a few troubles with it and the dealership refused to fix it so he sold it to my dad and bought a used 77 ford highboy from a better dealership and now the chev is long gone and i rode in the highboy this morning it has nothing to do with the chevs in person it was just how the dealer treated him that makes me a ford boy however i dont mind chev or dodge i just hate honda cars :mad:

I guess that my brand preference today is Ford, but I also love Oldsmobile engines. Over the years I've owned them all, pretty much. My first car was a VW bug, then an Austin Healy Sprite, then a 64 CHevy. Stuck in there were lots of early Fords, and even a Fiat 500.

In the 60's muscle cars became the thing because you could buy a car that was faster and nicer than the hot rods we were fooling around with and the payments were like $ 99 a month. I got into Pontiacs then, had two GTO's, then a 63 tripowe convertible, and finally a 66 Bonneville Brougham. In the late 60's my ex wife had a 68 Mustang and I transplanted a 351 Cleveland into it and raced that combo for a while. I think it was that Ford engine that made me kinda love Fords above all else.

So I would have to say I lean toward Ford engines and Ford bodies.

Don

Stuck on Chevys and GM since birth. (My mom used to say I was conceived in the back seat of a 54 Pontiac). I came to love them because they were easy to work on, and very interchangeable.

Example: Pulled a worn 250 straight six and "tree speed" out of my '80 Chevy shortbox pickup. Installed a 350, TH350, rad, shifter, console and seats out of a '76 Camaro. Didn't have to buy a hose clamp. Everything bolted in. The six's HEI distributor fit in my buddy's '52 pickup with a 216.

Try that trick with a Ford. Not likely. My best friend is a Ford guy. Did many swaps and repairs with him. I hate them. Retard engineering. Eight-inch long 5/16 bolts thru water? Broke a few dozen of those. Can't put a 400 where a 460 was? Different engine "families". My god, are they reproducing? Thirteen brackets carefully laid over top of the one you need to remove? Why, Ford? Why?

Now the rant is over, let me say I love any old American car. Fords be damned, I really hate imports. Give me anything built on this continent! To prove I'm not a hypocrite, here's a pic of our only Ford.

My son's '79 Mustang

24-10-08_1619.jpg

And my best friend's 52 Ford. Circa 1985.

scan0021.jpg

I wanted to build somthing diffrent and low budget and can have as much fun as a high end car. I grew up at my dads shop and been around VWs for 40+ years. Not the quickest (9.50 1/8, 15.16 1/4) but I still have my white bug to play with( 6.84 1/8)[ddd . I have owned GM and Fords for years but I have had more fun in my VWs
Tim

Attachments

• _DSC0320.jpg
    _DSC0320.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Tim%20Elliott.jpg
    Tim%20Elliott.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 15
not really sure what one i really like. as far as rat rods go the one i am building is a 50 ford F1 with a 1959 390 caddy hooked up to a 1978 chevy 3 speed. (working on the adaptor now) ford 9 inch rear and a 1940 something studebaker box. a allis-chalmers grill and 1937 ford front axle . it is quite the mix of parts but it is what i have to work with . and i have more time than money . so i will make the pars i have work together.
icebox

Im A Chevy fan for all the reasons Dr Crankenstein said, plus throw in crappy front suspensions(twin I's) fords just always seemed a pita to work on.

Been doing Fords all my life, just seem to have better luck with them and now my parts yard is all Ford so why would I build anything else? I blame my dad, I learned to drive in a 69 F150 with 390 and 4 speed, first mechanic work I ever did was to help him change the starter about 75, had a ball and fell in love with mechanicing (sp?) Later Whit

Pretty much a Ford guy. Indifferent about Mopars. I like some of the more unique GM motors like the big caddys & olds, buicks, etc. I like virtually any straight 6 - I do not know why!

I think it has to do with the absolutely bullet-proof '76 F100 I learned to drive on. 300 six, 3 spd, no power steering or brakes. Brutal to drive. My dad bought it to haul stuff from a buddy for $500 and it was already beat to hell. He kept it for 15 years and sold it for $1200! Never broke, overheated, failed to start... - despite my best efforts as a 16 yr old

My 1st car was a Ford, but then all through high school I concentrated on Pontiacs. I owned 7 different Pontiacs during high school! :D

Then I got married and just messed with Chevy’s until I bought a 5.0 Mustang in 92’. (Still have the Mustang :))

Current project is my 1st Mopar, always liked them, just never had one. Guy at work needed to sell and I couldn’t pass on the price. [ddev

Because the body was a Dodge we wanted to have a Mopar engine. Found a good deal on a 331 Hemi and that’s where we’re at. Certainly isn’t the most cost effective route, but I’m happy with it.

Over all, really not particular, l like em all. :D

I like them all ...... But I lean more to the mopar side .. I have always liked the body lines and there mills are some of the best built I think. But ya still gota love a SBC !

I looked at several truck cabs to build. Mid 30's Chevys caught my eye. Several 40's Fords were OK. When I ran across my '36 Ford cab, I loved the way the rockers swooped up in the front, besides, it was pretty close to home. For power, there was never any question. Chevy. Bang for the buck, ya know.

My fist car was a Olds, I am very partial to those engines, because I beat on mine and it survived.

As a mechanic, I have become impartial to any certian make because I know they all have inherant weaknesses and strengths.

Since you can pretty much find SBC parts it the cracks of a couch, thats what I will run.

I seem to always get a ford body.They were cheaper and easier to find when I started rodding.
I like 26-27 T`s.They look good and are reasonably priced even today.Same reason I usually go with chevy V8 power.Just easier to find and cheaper to buy.
I like all american classic brands of cars.[cl
I just seem to always end up with a T with a classic small chevy engine.[S

Grew up on a farm, we had a pickup or truck of all the big 3 manufacturers but it was the old IH that I enjoyed the most. Now I tend to gravitate toward the lesser known or forgotten makes. Guess it reminds me of growin up.

I have always been Mopar. I won't even consider a SBC in my Mopars. No way. No how. They are to belly button and I can see that people like them but to each his own.

When you build a Mopar, the point is to be different. Putting a SBC in it really defeats that purpose. There are 318's out there for FREE!! they are a tried and true engines without a doubt.

I like GM rods as well but I look to other powerplants rather than using a SBC. I'd rather use Buick,Olds,Pontiac or Cadillac.

Flame away :D

My dad was always a dodge man, he had other brands but always went back to dodge. When i was 16 i bought my first car, it was a 67 mustang coupe, he almost threw-up! Been driven fords ever since and they have never let me down

I grew up on chevys and owned oldsmobiles. I still have a soft spot for olds but am basically a Ford man now.Over the years I found that old Fords were much less likely to have been owned by some halfwit hack.

Like others, I just wanted to do something different. The Ghia idea came from when my folks had two when I was younger. The Ford 429 has been in the family for about 25 years and when it was my turn to have it, I had to put it to good use. I've had Mopars and Chevys but the big block Ford, esp. the 429, is a little different. Parts are expensive, when they can be found, and there's not a wide variety of aftermarket like Chevy and Mopar. Just to be unique I guess. That's all.

Latest posts

Back