Roadster pickup from leftovers.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Torchie. Not in the frame yet, but painted ! :D Tonight after work the rain held off long enough for Dan and me to get the engine wheeled outside and sprayed. Now I can move onto getting things like the intake installed, the carbs rebuilt and modified for tripower use, and all that other stuff so I can fire it up.

The color in two of these pictures is darker than it really is, the one lighter picture is more like it. I used Wimbledon White Imron, which is what I originally painted it with years ago.

Don

This picture is closer to the actual color.

Thank you. Yep, it is 700 pounds of American iron hanging there ! :) Glad to finally get it painted again so I can move on. It's been holding me back for a while now.

Don

That is some tough paint. I painted a guy's horse trailer with Imron in the early 80s and it lasted real good!

Thanks, guys. :) Dirty Rat, we have some pretty loose laws down here on paints and chemicals, unlike a lot of States. We can still buy the good stuff.

We figure, with the good ocean breezes we get, the fumes from this stuff blows over to other States, like Texas and California. :D

Don

That paint is tuff stuff . My friend that's living with me now painted his '52 Dodge Panel in the late 70's and it's still shiny .
Don you can come over if you want to check it out .

Imron

Best paint ever i did old Bessy 20+ years ago and still shines like new, well sorta.

Attachments

• bessie.jpg
    bessie.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 26.JPG
    26.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 35
It's been about a month since I did my last update, but the only thing I really have done was rebuild my 3 carbs, and I covered that in the fuel section of the forum. It has been just too darned hot to go to my shop on my days off and I have also been working 5 days straight, which kinda wears me out.

What my next step will be is to get the engine bolted into the frame for the final time. Before I can do that I have to drill and tap 4 holes into the frame for the grille shell, because once the motor is in there I won't have room to do it. I will probably do that this weekend after work.

Another thing I have to do is paint the transmission adapter the same white as the engine and transmission. That won't take long either, so there is really not a lot more to do before the motor goes in. I would love to have that done by this time next week.

One thing the kid in me had to do was temporarily put my "new" tripower setup on the motor to see how it looks. I also bought a NOS pair of Offenhauser finned aluminum valve covers off of the HAMB classifieds. The box had never been opened so they are really perfect. I put those temporarily on too.

So, maybe the next time you guys see pictures it will be of the motor down in the frame . :D

Don

I had to remove the water pump and press the pulley flange on just a tad deeper to get the two pulleys perfectly in line. It was off just about an eighth of and inch. The flange was also slightly cocked so the pulley had a slight wobble. That is now corrected and the pulley runs true. I picked up a new gasket and will bolt it back on again.

Oooooh Don, that's just plain beautiful man. That motor is going to be the center of attention on your project. Really looks good.

Thanks, guys. Not sure about trophies, just hope this baby runs after sitting so many years since I rebuilt it. :eek:

Last night after work I went to the shop to see my Son's Fox Mustang. He is about done, finally, with the cage, and he just finished up the supports that run into the engine room. It really looks good, he has spent months not only building the cage but filling every hole and smoothing everything in the engine room. I'll have to post some pictures.

While I was there we decided to work on my rpu a little. We got the water pump remounted on the engine and installed the crank pulley. Then we drilled and tapped the 4 holes in the frame to mount the grille shell. That was holding me up from installing the engine because I had to get the holes drilled while the motor was not in the way. So now that is done and all I have to do is paint the engine to transmission adapter, bolt it on the motor, and drop in the motor.

I should have some pictures of the motor sitting in the frame by the weekend. :D

I finally have some pictures to post. :) Tonight I got the last couple of pieces of the motor painted and when they dried my two Sons and I dropped it into the frame. This is a major step for me and now I can move onto trying to fire it up. Still some things to do before that happens, but I am getting closer.

Here are some pictures from tonight:

Don

Latest posts

Back