1952 F-6 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Gang !

The Doc told me to start getting some exercise to raise my heart rate. I'm not sure that this is what he had in mind.[ddd
Pics 1-4. Whats behind the curtain? Oh look. It's somebodies sadly neglected project. Just one of thousands that can be found across this great country. Stuck in the back of some dreamers garage.[dr
But wait. To move this one we first have to move a really heavy engine and trans.:eek:
Pics 5-6. Lets get the truck up on some dollies so it will be easier to move. Got it pushed to this point and I ran out of HP.
Pics 7-8. Time for the old guys friend. Got the truck into position..
Pic 9. :eek: :rolleyes: Now for the real work. Get this MESS cleaned up so I can push the engine back in here and drop the curtain.
That's it for today and perhaps tomorrow as well depending on how sore I am.
Thanks for checking up on me.........
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_0794.jpg
    IMG_0794.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0793.jpg
    IMG_0793.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0808.jpg
    IMG_0808.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0804.jpg
    IMG_0804.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0800.jpg
    IMG_0800.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0799.jpg
    IMG_0799.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0797.jpg
    IMG_0797.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0796.jpg
    IMG_0796.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0795.jpg
    IMG_0795.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 36
Those little winches work, I have one myself. I had an extra mount plate, I welded it to my trailer. Bought a cheap snatch block at a flea market to double my pulling power.

Good to see the truck back out in the open Torchie. Little by little it's getting there.[cl[P

There ya go being self-sufficient again....[cl The old addage seems to fit well with you my friend! Where there's a will, there's a way!

Hey Torchie, I haven't been around much lately, but it is sure good to hear you are feeling better. We need to see a picture of the new you. Probably half the man you used to be!

Truck project is looking great.

Its bike season again....:rolleyes: I have been busy on that.

Todays report....

Spent the morning helping Mrs T get her green house set up as she is still on a lifting restriction.
Once in the shop I installed the rebuilt MC and got the brake pedal connected. As planned I will have to put a access portal in the floor to fill the MC.
Oh yea..................and more cleaning:eek: :)
See you all later.
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_0809.jpg
    IMG_0809.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0813.jpg
    IMG_0813.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0814.jpg
    IMG_0814.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 24
149 Pages. And still not finished....

Of course if you edited out the Boat stuff. The leg stuff. The heart stuff. The eyes stuff. The well stuff and working on peoples Jeep stuff you would have 16 pages of Torchies build.:eek:
Todays effort.
Put the tie rod and the drag link back on. Since I lost all my pre disassembly pics I had to fall back on the "Green Bible" for info on the drag link.
Oh and yes. Still more cleaning.......:D
Thanks for looking in.
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_0816.jpg
    IMG_0816.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0815.jpg
    IMG_0815.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0822.jpg
    IMG_0822.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0827.jpg
    IMG_0827.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0826.jpg
    IMG_0826.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0825.jpg
    IMG_0825.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0823.jpg
    IMG_0823.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0817.jpg
    IMG_0817.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0821.jpg
    IMG_0821.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 33
You aren't posting a lot, it's that you have a lot of friends here that want to keep the conversation flowing. That is because you are a nice guy.

Oh, and the build is super cool too.

Tonights mess.....

You aren't posting a lot, it's that you have a lot of friends here that want to keep the conversation flowing. That is because you are a nice guy.

Oh, and the build is super cool too.

Aw shucks.........:eek: :eek:

Had some help come over so we separated the trans from the motor tonight. For those of you that have never messed with them, the Hydra-matic trans is a breed of it's own. They used the early version of these transmissions in the Stuart tanks during WW2. And they are heavy.:eek:
They don't have a Torque converter they have a fluid coupler so they just cant be unbolted and pulled off like a modern trans.
Pic 1. Here's the beast. You can see the wide casting on the back of the block that the trans is bolted to. This is what splits to allow removal of the trans.

Pic 2. Separating the bottom half of the casting. With this removed you can get to the 30 bolts that hold the coupler together.

Pics 3-5. I told the young fella that was helping me to make sure that he put a pan underneath to catch the fluid because as soon as you start to unbolt the coupler to pull the trans back, it will flow. Apparently he wasn't listening.:rolleyes: At least the fluid looks good.

Pic 6-7. Once you get the trans pulled back then you have to either lift the engine or lower the trans to clear the casting because of the flange around the fluid coupler. So the trans is listed on CL but most likely will go to scrap once the price goes up again.

I am a little skittish about putting this engine on the stand as it seems to be very front heavy and I sure as S*** don't want to crack that rear casting. I have a 4 legged stand and have talked with other Olds owners who have assured me that it is not a problem, but I am going to ponder it for a while.[S
Thanks for looking in. Oh and by the way. It is supposed to snow here again sometime this week so you may want to dress warm when visiting....;)
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0828.jpg
    IMG_0828.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0838.jpg
    IMG_0838.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0833.jpg
    IMG_0833.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0832.jpg
    IMG_0832.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0841.jpg
    IMG_0841.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0839.jpg
    IMG_0839.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0843.jpg
    IMG_0843.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 34
So I may have missed what year the engine and tranny are if you posted it :confused:
I had a 389 Pontiac that must of had one of those in it, it was not the normal tranny removal [S
Pans? who needs stinking pans? [ddd
[P [P [P

So I may have missed what year the engine and tranny are if you posted it :confused:
I had a 389 Pontiac that must of had one of those in it, it was not the normal tranny removal [S
Pans? who needs stinking pans? [ddd
[P [P [P

I am using a 1954 Olds Rocket engine OI. 324 cubic inch. Real stump puller like the nailheads.:D The Hydra-matic are like the Dynaflows in that they have a coupler set up in stead of a conventional torque converter. So they just don't pull right out or just slide right in. And if the engine is seized(which mine isn't:) ) then they are a real bear to take off. When that happens they usually have to be removed with the crank still attached.
Torchie

Latest posts

Back