Ratty fj40 Land Cruiser clustertruck....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tucked skid plate, 1/4" hardened steel and four bolts..

And "new" tires. Kinda scared of em, I keep thinking theyre gonna kick the crap out of me any second when im standing close...

D

Made a 50's toaster lookin clamshell center console, some cup holders and couple few other bits. Third brake light is from an 80's suzuki motor bike (tryin to keep it yapanese lol) with "stop" sprayed into it.

D

Cage tied to frame, holes in frame filled.

Did a custom upholstery job on the center console arm rest.... lol. Pieces of material from Derek's grandmas couch.

D

After taking a break to enjoy what was left of the summer i finally made it back out to the garage yesterday. Didnt accomplish anything huge lol. Made a drivers side apron scoop out of an chrome 80's suzuki motor bike lic. plate/brake light bracket. Its plated on the back side and held on w three bolts. I keep telling myself that the scoop and the 2" dia hole through the apron is gonna get some more air flow under the hood.... Probably do f all but I like the way it turned out...

Made a little spider web on the ps side of the cage (yeah yeah been lookin at too many rat rods) out of some stair carpet runner rod things I had around. Kinda silly but I had fun.

And the manditory "made in japan" emblem from the previously mentioned motor bike parts.

Yeah...

D

Thats it so far.

Plans are to keep the tub bare steel and blast the hood/apron/grille, doors and w/sh frame to match. Gonna let them get a little rusty after the blast then hit the whole thing with this industrial clear coat a buddy of mine uses. Stuff is kind of like if bed liner and clear coat had babies....

D

cool

l like it[cl

the bumper/roll cage/push bar is really a good idea and looks cool, nice workman ship on the whole thing.

now can ya build me one[cl

Later :cool:

Neat! I've always liked the old Land Cruisers. 1st new vehicle I ever bought was a 1978 Toyota pickup. Wore out two 4 cyls, ended up with a Buick 231 V6 saginaw 4 speed transplant. Was just 2wd, but with the V6, as long as it got traction, it would pull a freight train!:D

Thanks guys! Glad I found this site, been buying rat rod mags for a while now and its awesome to find all of these builds and pics in one place.

I picked up some axles with 5:29 gears the other day. Rear came locked (still have to pull the cover to see how) and I ordered up an aussie locker for the front. Plan is to swap the front thirds out and throw the whole new rear under the truck. Gonna move the rear shackle hangers back a bit to improve the shackle angle then the rear end should be close to done.

I also tackled some more body work and misc. welding that Ive been avoiding. The fire wall I got took a hit on the ds, the po started to fix it but didnt finish. All of the pinch welds were undone and everything was flappin around. I pounded out the "a" pillar where the doors mount with a bfh to get it as close to straight as I could then started tacking everything back together. Looks like ass right now since po also used a bfh to take everything apart lol. Some more massaging and it should meet rat criteria.

Also ordered a champion 3 core rad from ebay to keep things cool.

Ill post more pics when pic worthy things happen.

D

Now this Build, is why people come to this site. It is something different, the fab work is great, and all the pictures we could ever want to detail it.

Thanks man!

"New" axles, 5:29's and an aussie locker in the rear. Front aussie is on order.

Got a bunch of random stuff done. Cleaned up and threw the rear aussie locked/5:29'd axle in, fixed up the rear shackle angle, took off the windshield and popped the glass, test fitted the new rad, welded up a bunch of random spots on the tub, tweaked the door hinges a bit more, made a front diff guard out of a 10" pipe cap.... the usual bs.

D

Welded the diff guard on and reattached the ds rocker to the floor. Started thinking about spare tire placement.

D

Latest posts

Back