32 Pierce Arrow Rat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdybowski

Ok some of you may have seen this on another site, but I just flat out like this one better! I have a 1932 Pierce Arrow body that was given to me a couple years ago (doorless) and this is where the story begins.
I wasn't sure what I was going to do about the doors (not sure if any of you cats have ever looked into Pierce Arrow parts, but let me tell you, I could buy a complete Model A body for the price of those doors!) So I made a couple calls, got a new contact, and the guy gave me a set of 1934 Pierce Arrow doors (4dr...I have a 2dr). $35. sold. The question is still in the air *Do I narrow the body 8" or so (easiest way) or do I stretch the doors (this way would keep the awesome size of the car)? answer to be determined!

Attachments

• DSCF4308.jpg
    DSCF4308.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 182
  • DSCF4310.jpg
    DSCF4310.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 134
  • DSCF4313.jpg
    DSCF4313.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 125
So then I show some interest in an engine to a neighboring car enthusiast and he asks if I want it. I say "hell yeah!...how much?"...FREE. So I scored a 1929 REO Flying Cloud straight-8, 3 speed tranny and pedal assembly included.

Attachments

• IMAG0412.jpg
    IMAG0412.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 128
  • IMAG0414-1.jpg
    IMAG0414-1.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 111
  • IMAG0416.jpg
    IMAG0416.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 138
The same guy has a frame just leaning in between a couple garages. I ask him if he wants to get rid of it. He tells me that I don't want it, but he has another frame hanging in one of his garages that I am welcome to. We look in the garage and there hangs a 1928 Pierce Arrow frame. wow. How much I say....FREE. It had been hanging there for years and he will never need it. It took a while to get it over to my garage, I needed about 6 guys to get the beast off the ceiling and carry it over.

Attachments

• IMAG0452.jpg
    IMAG0452.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 91
So after much debate, I decided to Z the frame at the firewall. This was no easy task. (thanks to everyone on here that commented on my previous posting about the frame height) Long story short...a ton of beer and a ton of measuring and time got me through it.
I cut the frame at 45*, notched 2" off and stacked it. This gave me the height I needed for the 42-48 Ford front suspension (spring in front).

Attachments

• IMAG0485.jpg
    IMAG0485.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 96
  • IMAG0489.jpg
    IMAG0489.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 95
  • IMAG0490.jpg
    IMAG0490.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 95
  • IMAG0491.jpg
    IMAG0491.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 97
  • IMAG0492.jpg
    IMAG0492.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 100
So at this point I am waiting for some steel to box and fishplate the Z and am in the process of cleaning up the frame (removing unnecessary rivets, etc...filling the holes.) I also scored a rearend that will be wide enough to fit the wheels on the outside of her fat ass. FREE.
As soon as I get the Z boxed and the front suspension in, I will be moving the body inside. I can't place the rear until I get the body in. (I really don't know where I want to put the wheels....the wheel wells are almost too far back for my taste)...more to come kids!

Welcome, looks like you're off to an awesome start! I'm tuned into this build!

I second clamor.... I say stretch the door, that's what I have started on my 1940 Chevy that was a 4 door....

Attachments

• 0405131359b.jpg
    0405131359b.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 0929130812c.jpg
    0929130812c.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 114
definitely stretch the doors.. the length and shape of the car are very unique and would be a shame to not save that aspect of the original car

doors

yes, stretched[;), you won't regret it, l shortend my 3OlSH and l like it, but on your'es it would ruin the coolness of the car.

Later :cool:

dually noted on the doors~ Love your ride christ!!

thanks... Names Irwin... stretching the door on mine was a bit of a challenge because they were curved, hopefully it will be easier for you with a less rounded body. I went back and fourth on it, but I'm very happy with the way it turned out! [cl good luck!

After looking at pics on the internet, I'd cut the body down to use the front doors from the 4 door. The 4 door doors are decent sized as opposed to freakin' huge. It would look more coup-ish (Ford proportions?).

edit: do your doors have the sloped leading edge of the 2 door or they straight up and down like the pic below?

thumb.php

32-Pierce_Mdl54_ClbBrhm_DV-07-MB_01.jpg

Those cars are huge. It is almost hard to grasp how huge they are.

Stock tires are 7.50x18. That is almost 34" tall.

It is going to be hard to find tires big enough to make it look like a hot rod (40" tall on the rear?).

I think the body needs to get smaller.

Latest posts

Back