'65 Rover Half Cab

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It took a half a day but I got all the tar, paint and undercoating off the underside of the fenders. Used Paint stripper, gasoline and Castrol Super Clean and lots of scrubbing with scuff pads.
Much easier to do dent removal with the underside clean.

Todd, the Samurai has an 80" wheelbase and the Rover is 88". So a little frame stretch would be needed.

Similar, but different.

rovah09.jpg

e2e8ff5b2e859b93b1e58248ce061faa.jpg

VWclassic2011039.jpg

VWclassic2011040.jpg

VWclassic2011041.jpg

581869.jpg

581880.jpg

581842.jpg

581869.jpg

581874.jpg

Thanks a lot for the Rover pics. Kool stuff. Cute with the top off. Mine won't be slammed as much as those.
I painted the insides of the fenders with Rustoleum aluminum primer. Then shot some etching primer on the outsides as needed. The fender pictured was spray bombed with Camo khaki flat (tan), which is the color I plan on using. However, the sorta olive drab color on the top of the fender is the etching primer and I like that color too. There is a flat camo color almost the same. The internal debate rages on.
Oh, forgot to mention I roughed all the dents out with hammers and dollies. The aluminum seems quite thin so I decided to not pick and file. I intend to leave the remaining shallow dents and imperfections well, remain. Like the car has suffered a number of minor mishaps in its life. With the flat paint the dents don't show too bad. Can always go back and finish the job later.

Last edited:
There is a pair of these on craigslist here in Phoenix. Looking at this build and the photos has given me crazy ideas of getting deeper into projects I can't afford. Then again, I can probably sell off the BMW and fill the back yard with toys !!! :D Nice work too, bob.

Brief hijack, sorry ...

Looking at this build and the photos has given me crazy ideas of getting deeper into projects I can't afford...

The two I found are not Rovers (sorry), they are 1960 I-H Scout 80s.

Ummm ..... errrr ..... uhhh ..... I'm buying them !!! :eek: Couldn't resist.

orange_zps7c7ffa67.jpg

Thanks for the inspiration, and great work! And now, back to your regularly scheduled Build thread ... :D

Last edited:
My daughter is wanting to claim a Toyota FJ40 that I have stuffed in my dad's barn. I'm thinking a 2wd conversion on it might be kinda neat (lower center for a "hey y'all watch this" kind of kid). ...either that or a gutless straight six in front of a granny low 4 speed.

...or not. Somebody beat me to it. A FJ40 doesn't really look all that good low.
frontpasssmall.jpg

Took some time away from this project to build a frame for my Renault project. I eased back into the Rover project today by running trans cooling lines and a fuel line.

Looking good, Bob! You these two done and they will make quite a pair at your local car shows. I always thought that the weird stuff is the coolest.

I don't know how you do it Bob. If I had as many projects going as you do ,
I'd be a babbling idiot. A flat broke one at that.
Stay after it!

Thanks for the comments, guys. I build a lot slower than even a few years ago. Got less money to throw at these builds too.
In the last few days I made up a front and rear wiring loom and ran clips along the frame and firewall. Located the battery and ran the cables. Finished off the three storage bins that mount in the seat riser. Installed a brake light switch and put a rear hub/bearing in an Equinox. Now I'm stiff and sore again.
Lots of time consuming little activities on the Rover right now.

Have done quite a bit of work but it doesn't show. Built a gas pedal and linkage to the carb. Made an alternator bracket. Derusted the floor pans and the bins that go in the seat riser with prep and etch and then primed. Also cleaned and primed the seat riser and gas tank. Most of the wiring is done at the dashboard. The shifter is mounted. And a few other minor tasks have been completed. The build always seems to go slow at this point but it should be running and driving by late spring.

You're getting alot done Bob! I can relate to the stiff and sore too. The cold weather always plays fits with my arthritus.

Latest posts

Back