96 GMC rat build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you happen to remember where you found that perforated sheet? Nice pattern and the new grill looks good! I'm looking at fabbing in a grill insert soon and have been looking around. The hardware stores and places like lowes have some but not in patterns I'm fond of. I have considered drywal lath.

I bought them off ebay....

Do you happen to remember where you found that perforated sheet? Nice pattern and the new grill looks good! I'm looking at fabbing in a grill insert soon and have been looking around. The hardware stores and places like lowes have some but not in patterns I'm fond of. I have considered drywal lath.

was a company called Zoro....had some good prices but I would have like to make it one piece...it's actually two sections...I think they were 40x36 sheets and I had to cut down the two to make the one...the split is behind the GMC emblem and it barely shows even close up....free shipping ...total order was like 40 bucks....it was 20 gauge stuff and worked out great..

Yes much better [cl There are not many of us GMS folks around so we must advertise
As has been said many times, glad to see you back at it, waiting for more up dates [P

Prepped primed and painted today....

Satin black....think the GMC emblem will stand out nicely....put to the side for the next step...get the rest of the body prepped and into prime....then on to the glass....

Attachments

• IMAG0943.jpg
    IMAG0943.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 51
Thanks Klink...

The new grille definitely captures the character of your truck. New twist on a classic look.

I mocked up several different ones....five bar no emblem, no bars with and without emblem, two bars w and w/o and so on....think the three bar and the emblem looked the best.....appreciate your input.....as I do everyones....

A bit more of what I've done in two days of work

Hated the look of the bumper where it met fender...bumper stuck out too far...cut the bumper 1 1/8" each side to tuck it into the fender.......fabbed up a more tucked lower fender extension to front fenders and welded them in...used to be plastic...happy with the bumper fit now..

fitted the roll pan and decided to make the weld in one a bolt in one...problem was there is nothing to bolt it to on either side of the box panel at the lower corner...made and welded in flanges on both side...Roll pan now bolts in ....

Smoothed out the bumper, and put it into primer....used Por15 to seal backside of the bumper and the now numerous welds...lol..

Attachments

• IMAG2409.jpg
    IMAG2409.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMAG2889.jpg
    IMAG2889.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 26
more pics

Nothing fancy but functional.....so there you have my current two Saturdays of working in the barn for a change....

Attachments

• IMAG2887.jpg
    IMAG2887.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMAG2899.jpg
    IMAG2899.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 30

Latest posts

Back