Bonehead is back to work

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is what it boils down to. The engine was in three different shops. In at least one of those shops something bad happened. Was there malice? No. Are these guys good at what they do. Generally, yes. What ever this was, it was not planned, and was totally an accident. Who was responsible? Since one of those shops was mine, and I can't rule me out, I have to say it does not matter. Who pays for the repairs? I do. The buck stops here. I could raise a fuss, but to what end? Yes, it sounds like there was something overlooked. But it is a total unknown. ....................................... Back to work.

Have you ran an open transmission before? I have a friend who did that in his 37 pickup, hung the floorboards off the bottom of the frame, that tranny really puts off some heat.

Yep, I know it is going to be hot, but I don't think the truck is all that practical anyway. But I have that thought in my head.

Thanks, Sam.

I wasn't thinking malice. It's just one of those things that can happen when building an engine. It seems like there are at least a 1000 things that need to be done correctly - if someone misses one .....

Who pays for the repairs? I do. The buck stops here. I could raise a fuss, but to what end?

And that is the attitude of an honest shop owner. It is also what most people over look when they want the glory of running their own shop. In the last week I've burnt up 8 hours of my own time, gas and shipping costs to fix an issue with an engine I'm assembling. I won't see a dime in return, but I will see the customer back again for more work. Sometimes you just have to take a big bite of the S** sandwich, smile, and move on. Nice work![P

Why do these things cost so much?
If you buy them at a farm supply instead of automotive, they are about half the price.
Let me bring up the issue with the engine.
I built a 355 sbc circle track engine for a fellow racer.
All of the connecting rods were 5.7x shot peened and polished. The engine was picked up at my shop and installed by the buyer.
This car and engine set in an unheated shop all winter and the consequence to this is, it will draw moisture inside the block.
With out ever being fired up and the internals getting coated with oil, the parts will definitely rust.
This customer was irate and claimed I put these rusty parts in the engine :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Moral to the story is, Mother Nature is cruel and most likely the culprit to the rust. As far as the other problems , the debris that came off the rockers, valves etc. are most likely the reason the bearings were scared :(
This build is a beast [cl

Well,this build is a real tour de force for exhibiting your talent. Couldn't be any better! Looks like you are setting up for a professional photo shoot in the video.

Will there be a more "performance oriented" video coming?

Well,this build is a real tour de force for exhibiting your talent. Couldn't be any better! Looks like you are setting up for a professional photo shoot in the video.

Will there be a more "performance oriented" video coming?

You know it! It idles good, but that is not all. Have to get through some more photo shoots before I potentially blow it up. :)

Latest posts

Back