Smallfoot's AA

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys! I'm thinkin it's gonna look pretty funky with all that chrome nestled down in all that rust...
Shiny stuff doesn't do well around me. If it stays long enough to actually get into the truck, it'll last until it starts looking crappy and get spray bombed.

I LIKE YOUR WAY OF THINKING!!!! Not a big fan of chrome myself.
Good luck on your transplant.
It just keeps getting better all the time.

I LIKE YOUR WAY OF THINKING!!!! Not a big fan of chrome myself.
Good luck on your transplant.
It just keeps getting better all the time.

It's rough territory here. I'm rough on trucks. The water here has so much iron, I can fill a white plastic bucket and 15 minutes later, it will rust. And for the life of me, when I walk out and look at the 31, lemmesee, do I want to ride or do I want to clean and polish...the ride wins out every time...:D

I tell all my friends with shiny cars N trucks, that my detail kit consists of a push broom and a air nozzle[ddd

You must have the "professional" kit...the amateur variety is all windows down, tailgate down and doors cracked at 90mph...seems to take care of sand, grinding dust, pine needles and leaves...:D

I was down the road while ago at my favorite BBQ stand grabbing the best BBQ around these parts and Tobby called me about my tranny. In case ya'll don't know him. He's a member here and a transmission man. If you've never done business with him, you're missing the boat. Didn't know him at all but by reputation myself before this build. I tend to try and give people some business when it's like in this case, a fellow forum member. We've only talked on the phone a few times but I like the way he does business already. I explained what I was doing and keyed him to my build thread so he could catch up with the idea. He's aware of what I'm doing on the new motor and where it's going tranny wise and he's building one to fit the whole deal just right. I'm stoked! He's really a nice guy and is bending over backwards to make a great deal out of the whole thing. He told me he'd give me a shout when it's ready and we'll plan on meeting up near here where he makes fairly regular deliveries.
Anyway, while I was at the BBQ stand, I decided to go next door to Dominion Metals which is a recycler to see if they'd weigh the 31....well come to find out the owner was sitting next to me at the table...he said pull right up on the scale and tell them Bart sent you...okey dokey....2500 lbs on the head with me in it.
And some further moves on the 305:

I don't know smallfoot. That engine looks real nice. Maybe too Nice. I think you should just squirt it down with your patented "Rust-o-Matic" formula.[ddd
[cl :D [P
Torchie

Won't take much to feel real peppy in a 2500 lb. truck! :cool:[cl[cl

I'm sure your right Snake Farm! The old motor in it now really scoots altho it's tired. This is the same motor with the only change in the intake manifold. Same cam and carb. I'm putting a Torker 11 on this one and the present is the SP2 Performer. A change could be made easy if I don't like the torker. I was surprised at the weight being on the high end of my figuring. Body metal loss in the chop, fenders, and running boards are the only losses. Adding the differences between a Mod A motor, trans, and rearend and my drivetrain with small block, auto trans and S10 rearend. While talking to Tobby today , I guessed at 2300-2500 and he was thinking closer to 2000. My title said the original truck weighed 2440 so With me in it today, that makes the weigh in right at 100 lbs lighter than stock..

Smallwood after reading some of the trans problem posted here, I see good info but don't see where you are pulling your vacuum from?? It needs to be connected to the manifold, directly to engine vacuum. also it should have a small (2in long) piece of hose from the manifold to 1/4" or 1/16" steel tubing running down to the trans, then a small piece of hose to the modulator. It should not be connected to the carb or any base plate. Tobby

Tobby, I can make that happen. I am connected to the lower port on the carb right now. I'll change to a different connector on the present motor and see if it makes a difference and make sure I put it that way on the new motor too. Thanks for the tip!

more bling

I can see sunglasses will be the order of the day when I get this one sitting in the truck...:cool:

Everything is hooked up except the carb which is presently used on the motor in the truck and the fuel pump.
Also, as suggested on the trans problem, I changed location on the modulator vacuum line and attached it directly to the plenum on the intake manifold. For about an hour, my fishing buddy Junior and I terrorized the roads and woods around here yesterday and all seemed well. Still, reverts back to occasionally not wanting to upshift into 2nd or 3rd when it happens. About the only thing I can try next is to access the governor and see if I can manipulate the weights on the governor by pulling it out as far as I can get it and seeing if the weights move freely. Maybe a shot of carb cleaner to what I can see...I dunno! It rides good enough to enjoy the ride for the most part and it'll all change shortly so this problem is not really bothering me as bad as it did. It hasn't left me flat anywhere. I'm just looking forward to all drive and no troubleshooting.

OK, so you have an old pan head trike and a flat/knuckle head scooter? :eek:
I didn't want it to come to this but, I'm gonna have to call you a hoarder [ddd :cool:
Good lookin engine for the swap out [cl

I don't know but I think you've gone over the edge for some one that doesn't want a bunch of shiney stuff.

Just given you a hard time. It's looking good.
How's the fishing?

I didn't want it to come to this but, I'm gonna have to call you a hoarder [ddd :cool:

I call it "Dick's Junkyard" around here...:D OI, that's a 55 Servicar in the background along side a 41 Knucklehead that belongs to my buddy Barry. I'm just storing the 41 for him. It's all period correct. The guys got together years ago and freshened everything up. It's due again and it's Barry's wish that his daughter will get this on his passing. We'll all get together and bring it back to new looking again soon.
The 55 Servicar is mine. Motor and tranny are rebuilt and mechanics are in good shape but has been sitting. It should have the old style box but has been dressed with the later style fiberglass box and it's been cut and customised. I plan on building the old style box again and putting rear fenders back on it. I still have the old stock rear wheels that are about 4" wide 16s. And the original springer front too. I'll take pix of the box and how I had it set up soon. The fiber box had a lid that lifted from the rear and was hinged across the front for a storage area. I have it the same in the back but I can lift it and open a couple more latches and pull the top completely off leaving a front open on the box. Inside is a bench seat for passenger with a lifting seat for storage underneath with radio, tools, jack, etc..Battery underneath that tucks up inot the body and it's a full sized car battery fed charge by a one wire GM alternator, another interesting set up that was an aftermarket factory peice driven by a 6" belt. I got more projects than I have time likely as not!

I don't know but I think you've gone over the edge for some one that doesn't want a bunch of shiney stuff.

Just given you a hard time. It's looking good.
How's the fishing?
Thanks Pops! I think it's over board for chrome too. But believe it or not. When things got ordered from a parts house around here, sometimes things were ordered in pairs. Sometimes a sale deal when prices were good I went ahead and ordered extra stuff. I got 2 alternators on a deal, one came chrome and one was black. When the crate motor arrived, the pan set was all chrome. Even all the pulleys wound up arriving in chrome...so yeah, shiny. I'm sure when it all starts peeling, I'll spray bomb it.
Yesterday, we rode the truck all morning and fished all afternoon. I knew it was gonna be a good day when I landed my first fish on the first bite on our first stop right near the boat ramp. We fought high winds all day but it seems to be better fishing on windy days. Our water is clear and shallow and a ripple makes it harder for the fish to see us. I think I caught 6 and Junior got 3 or 4. Still not much to brag about in size but fun to catch. I used to tak pix of all of them but we seldom snap a shot of anything that doesn't have some size. We're due for a nice one...

Leave him alone gang. The guys got a hard life what with having to choose between working on the rat. Shooting pool. Going fishing or digging out one of the bikes to start on. I for one couldn't take that kind of pressure.:D [cl [ddd
I have always dug the service cars smallfoot. Perfect for a guy with one leg.[dr
Whenever I want to get my biker pals attention I just casually mention that my uncle in law used to own/ride a Crocker. My wife used to climb up on it to play when she was a kid.
Torchie

those old servicars are cool..! we will be wanting more photos when you start to work on that!

Leave him alone gang. The guys got a hard life what with having to choose between working on the rat. Shooting pool. Going fishing or digging out one of the bikes to start on. I for one couldn't take that kind of pressure.:D [cl [ddd
I have always dug the service cars smallfoot. Perfect for a guy with one leg.[dr
Whenever I want to get my biker pals attention I just casually mention that my uncle in law used to own/ride a Crocker. My wife used to climb up on it to play when she was a kid.
Torchie

Oh yeah, tough life....:D presently cleaning house and cooking chops on the grill for pool night tonight. Torchie the Servicars are nice little rides. Just not much for highway use. With a 100mph tailwind you still won't make a 55 mph speed.:rolleyes:
Back about 88:

Latest posts

Back