IronRat's '51

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good call on the Pontiac lights. Simple and clean. Plus as you say the price is right.
Some guys did the 57 ? Corvette tailights. Kind of looks like your second pic.
Torchie.

I think I'm going to start with '50 pontiac tail light. That will get me on the road, simple, fast & economical.

Something like this:

I think I might like this better:

I don't foresee this happing this year.

I have the 50 Pontiac LED's on my truck, I've been thinking of switching to these Technostalgia LED taillights that are a little different take on the 50 Pontiac light. It might be something you're interested in.

$_57.JPG

Good call on the Pontiac lights. Simple and clean. Plus as you say the price is right.…..

Yes, the '50 Pontiac lens fit better with the real world, shade tree mechanic, Hot Rod I'm going for

I have the 50 Pontiac LED's on my truck, I've been thinking of switching to these Technostalgia LED taillights that are a little different take on the 50 Pontiac light. It might be something you're interested in…..

Yes, I saw those on ebay . I'm a big fan of LED tail lights. Lots to be said for being seen & NOT getting hit by lackadaisical drivers.

Nice ride! I so wanted a hard top when I was looking but couldn't find one and ended up with my 52 sedan.
Tail lights? I have been going round and round on that one myself even bought the Poncho LED's but decided no. I have tried a lot of different ones and the lastest are 52/53 Kaiser's and still not sold on them.
I like the Olds grill section ya might want to think about that it works!
Good luck I will be watching this one, love the 49 to 54s.

Attachments

• 0221142241.jpg
    0221142241.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 0221142241a.jpg
    0221142241a.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 38
Nice ride! I so wanted a hard top when I was looking but couldn't find one and ended up with my 52 sedan.
Tail lights? I have been going round and round on that one myself even bought the Poncho LED's but decided no. I have tried a lot of different ones and the lastest are 52/53 Kaiser's and still not sold on them.
I like the Olds grill section ya might want to think about that it works!
Good luck I will be watching this one, love the 49 to 54s.

Thanks, I just got lucky finding this one, right place, right time. I didn't know how rare this model is, only 103,356 were built.

I think your Kaiser lights look good with the lines of the fender. It's really what you are going for. I would have been happier if I didn't have to address this prior molestation and the taillights were left virgin. I'm really trying to keep mine simple & fun for now.

Grill section. Once I get the OEM front bumper on, I'll see how the grill section looks. I was thinking No center pc. Just some type of gravel guard. Give it that Masseratii open grill look.

Last edited:
Yes, the '50 Pontiac lens fit better with the real world, shade tree mechanic, Hot Rod I'm going for

Yes, I saw those on ebay . I'm a big fan of LED tail lights. Lots to be said for being seen & NOT getting hit by lackadaisical drivers.

As am I, they may not be "traditional" but they do they part to keep some driver in a Jap rocket from rear-ending you!

I agree with you Ironrat, that Cosmics Kaiser tail lights really work with the body lines.
I understand what you're saying about having one part of your project new wave and the rest era correct. It's just not done.

…..
I understand what you're saying about having one part of your project new wave and the rest era correct. It's just not done.

I'm staying opened mind on the era correct as my '71 455 & 400 trans are not exactly correct either. ;)

Im the ChicagoLand area there are 9million people. You just can't have enough brake light "candle power" on our roads.

I'm staying opened mind on the era correct as my '71 455 & 400 trans are not exactly correct either. ;)

Im the ChicagoLand area there are 9million people. You just can't have enough brake light "candle power" on our roads.

Being able to see the tail lights is why I went with what I am doing now. Tried the lights in the bumper guards but just didn't seem real safe to me, a lot of work for nothing. Tried the Corvette ones also just didn't really match the top of the quarters to me. I will be using a Corvette grill with extra teeth inside the stock surround though.I love being out on hot summer nights and so do a lot of other people round here and I want tails right up where they can be seen and yes I will be running LED bulbs!

I hope everyone is enjoying the 4th. :D

A few updated pics. I found a '52 grill, did some minor body work, basically just fixing some bondo work that had cracked & chipped during shipping plus about $50 of rattle can primer. It might be hard to tell the body is Rustoleum grey Auto primer.

Next I replaced the rear shocks and the OEM Leaf Springs. The leafs were worn out with a two inch sag vs, the new ones. I did keep the 2" drop blocks and I'm happy with the height. Much better for Great Lakes Area roads. I also found a better rear bumper and installed it.

I installed '50 pontiac LED Tail lights. This will get me on the road. I will address the frenched tail mess later in the year.

I fired it up for the fist time since last fall. The Quadrajet ( drive train from a '71 Grand Prix) is acting up. I'd get it running and it cuts out. New gas tank, fresh gas, good pressure to the carb. I think it might be wiser to just swap it out than to mess with rebuilding it.

Constructive advise, always appreciated.

Looking good, I'm itching to start on my 50 Chevy

Thank you.

I looked at your build. My Car has the front clip from a 70 Camaro. Nice as it gave me disc brakes & more current linkage parts availability. Bad as it really placed the wheels out pretty wide, apps. 3" wider than stock. I need steel wheels that have 5" backspace I'll probably need to move up to a 16" to accommodate the disc. and mostly like I'll need the wheels custom. made. I can drive the car now on perfectly flat roads. If I lived in in a place that actually had flat roads that is. :)

So consider this aspect as you look for a chassis to use.

Challenge accomplished today.

Before:

After:

I know for a lot of you guys this is pretty elementary. I'm not embarrassed to say it did take a whole pot of coffee and a lot of stupid staring to figure this one out. [S

At some point between 1963 & 2013 someone decided this car needed it's door handles shaved & poppers installed. I inherited the post apocalyptic carnage. The mount plates were still welded in place, one mechanism minus the activation rod, handles gone, holes welded shut and a hunk of wire running to nowhere.

I want to keep this car a simple Hot Rod. So handles make more sense than poppers.

The handle retaining clips we left in…to hold the washer in place that was part of the patch. Of course that was partially weld to the door. :mad: After a lot of careful Dremel and file work, I got the handle installed.

I was able to get new locks for a set of old pitted handles from National Chevy.

The door glass was bad so it as time to pull it and clean everything up. Glass & windshield will be fall projects.

Not too bad for a rattle can paint job on a gravel driveway.

Working on cleaning all the interior molding & dashboard.

Pulled out the 63 yo headliner & found a few vintage bugs.

Latest posts

Back